Aguirre appoints OIC for BuCor
After former Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Benjamin delos Santos insisted on leaving office while President Rodrigo Duterte acted on his resignation, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II designated an officer-in-charge (OIC) to handle the agency’s day-to-day operations.
Aguirre put Rey M. Raagas, chief of the BuCor’s administrative division, as OIC.
“Mr. Raagas is hereby authorized to perform functions in relation to the day-to-day operations of the Bureau, functions delegated to the Director General…and such other ministerial duties that are essential in order not to disrupt public service,” Aguirre said Department Order 477 made public Monday.
Delos Santos submitted his irrevocable resignation last week after Aguirre revealed that the illegal drug trade had resumed at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP). NBP is one of the seven penal institutions operated by the BuCor.
Delos Santos said the issue about the resurgence of the drug trade had made his position irrelevant. He resigned effective immediately.
Aguirre formally recommended to Duterte retired General Dionisio Santiago as the replacement of Delos Santos.
“In my humble opinion, General Santiago can very well lead the BuCor,” Aguirre said in his letter to Duterte.
Santiago, now with the Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB), was a former head of BuCor from June 2003 to September 2004.
Aside from NBP, BuCor’s other operating units include the Abuyog Penal Colony in Leyte, the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City, the Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm in Puerto Princesa in Palawan, the Sablayan Prison and Penal Farm in Occidental Mindoro, the San Ramon Prison and Penal Farm in Zamboanga City and the Davao Prison and Penal Farm. CBB/rga
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.