Pangilinan finds Marcos reinstatement ‘disturbing’
“Disturbing” was how Senator Francis “Kiko” Pangilinan described President Duterte’s order to reinstate Supt. Marvin Marcos and 18 other policemen who were behind the killing of Albuera, Leyte Mayor Rolando Espinosa Sr.
“It is quite disturbing considering that the NBI (National Bureau of Investigation) and the Senate findings point to murder,” Pangilinan said in a text message on Thursday.
Duterte said on Wednesday, July 12, 2017, that he wanted Marcos reinstated after he had served his suspension following the filing of charges against him and 18 other policemen for Espinosa’s killing.
The President said that while some insist that drug suspects should be considered innocent until proven guilty, the same should be accorded to Marcos and his fellow accused.
Pangilinan urged the Senate majority who signed the committee report to come together to defend its findings that killing of Espinosa was premeditated.
“We hope the members of the senate majority who signed the committee report will close ranks and fulfill its duty to act as a check and balance on the executive branch,” he said.
On Wednesday, Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa said he would bring back Marcos, head of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group Eastern Visayas (CIDG-8), and 18 of his men to service.
This was after President Duterte himself said he wanted to reinstate Marcos.
The 18 other policemen who will be reinstated are Supt. Santi Noel Matira; Chief Insp. Leo Larraga; Senior Insp. Fritz Blanco; Senior Insp. Deogracias Diaz; Insp. Lucredito Candilosas; SPO4 Melvin Cayubit; PO3 Johnny Ibañez; SPO4 Juanito Duarte; PO1 Lloyd Ortigueza; PO1 Bhernard Orpilla; SPO2 Benjamin Dacallos; PO3 Norman Abellanosa; PO1 Jerlans Cabiyaan; PO1 Clixto Canillas Jr; SPO1 Mark Christian Cadilo; PO2 John Ruel Doculan; SPO2 Antonio Docil; and PO2 Jaime Dacsal.
Marcos’ team raided Espinosa’s cell in Baybay, Leyte to serve a search warrant. Marcos’ camp claims Espinosa opened fire at the cops, prompting them to shoot him and another inmate Raul Yap in November last year.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) had also downgraded the case against Marcos and his men from murder to homicide. They have since been released on bail.
This move by the DOJ drew negative reactions from the Senate and different sectors. CBB
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.