De Oro shows off bloodless record in drug war
CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY— The Philippine National Police could use this city’s antidrug operations as a show window for part two of its war on drugs, which PNP Director General Ronald dela Rosa had said would be less bloody.
According to the city police office, since the second phase of “Oplan Tokhang” (knock and plead) and “Oplan Double Barrel” had been carried out from March 1-15 in the city, at least 56 arrests had been made and no death was reported.
The report, released to the media on Friday, said the city police conducted a total of 52 operations since March 1, including 47 buy-bust operations.
From these operations, police said they seized at least 85 sachets of suspected “shabu” (methamphetamine hydrochloride).
Chief Insp. Mardy Hortillosa, city police spokesperson, said city policemen had been given orders to avoid bloodshed during drug raids.
“We are doing our best so that nobody will die in the conduct of the antidrug campaign,” Hortillosa told Inquirer.
City police had invited members of religious groups, though not from the Catholic Church, to witness the operations which had been credited in part for the bloodless campaign. —JIGGER JERUSALEM