Plan to develop new airport in Cavite lauded
A motorists’ rights group yesterday lauded President Duterte for considering the development of a commercial airport in Sangley Point, Cavite province, as an alternative gateway to Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia).
The Road Users Protection Advocates (Rupa) said the construction of a world-class airport in Cavite would be a more viable solution to decongest air traffic in Naia, dubbed as one of the worst airports in the world.
The group also noted that the Japan International Cooperation Agency (Jica) had proposed Sangley Point as the site of a modern $10-billion airport.
“Since Cavite is very near Metro Manila, the land travel of airline passengers would not be a big issue,” Rupa said in a statement.
“The government doesn’t need to spend that much on road construction since Cavitex (Manila-Cavite Expressway) is already servicing motorists traveling to and from Cavite,” it said.
Presiding over the first Cabinet meeting moments after his inauguration on June 30, Mr. Duterte asked Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade about the possibility of transferring domestic flights to Clark International Airport in Pampanga province.
The President also expressed his openness in building a new airport in Sangley Point, “if there’s money from investors.”
Rupa said the multibillion-peso project would entice private contractors as the construction of the airport had been proposed by Jica.
“The government should not only think of the cost of making this project a reality. It must put the safety of the riding public above any consideration,” Rupa said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.