Monday, October 23, 2017
Close  
newsinfo / Nation

Palace ready, willing to work with Duterte

newsinfo / Nation
  • share this

Palace ready, willing to work with Duterte

/ 06:45 PM May 10, 2016
Front-running presidential candidate Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is prayed over by a supporter during a news conference shortly after voting in a polling precinct at Daniel R. Aguinaldo National High School, Matina district, his hometown in Davao city in southern Philippines Monday, May 9, 2016. Duterte was the last to vote among five presidential hopefuls. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

Front-running presidential candidate Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is prayed over by a supporter during a news conference shortly after voting. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

Malacañang on Tuesday said it is ready to work with Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who has yet to be proclaimed president.

“I have indicated our readiness and willingness to work with the incoming administration,” Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said during a Palace briefing.

Earlier in the day, Malacañang issued a statement accepting and expressing respect for the “verdict” of the people as unofficial and partial tallies show Duterte leading by at least five million votes.

ADVERTISEMENT

The administration’s candidate, former secretary Mar Roxas, is tailing behind with around 23 percent of votes as opposed to Duterte’s 38 percent.

“The path of good governance or Daang Matuwid is already established as all presidential candidates spoke out against corruption, and in favor of continuing and expanding present pro-poor programs, and pursuing more initiatives to sustain the strong economy and achieve inclusive growth,” Coloma said.

Coloma also said the incoming administration will benefit from their work on good governance.

“We have done our part in improving the systems, procedures and processes in making this more customer or citizen friendly; and our successors will find a strengthened bureaucracy that is steeped in the principles of good management as well as open and transparent and accountable transactions with the general public,” he said.

He said Duterte can expect a “more capable” and “more responsive” government workforce.

Coloma disagreed with those saying that Roxas’ loss and Duterte’s win was a “protest vote.”

He said people should not generalize and pointed out that all candidates vowed to continue the conditional cash transfer program, which is the centerpiece anti-poverty program of the Aquino administration.

“Kaya’t hindi naman makatwiran na sabihin na hindi matagumpay o walang saysay ‘yung mga ginawa ng ating kasalukuyang administrasyon,” he added.

ADVERTISEMENT

(So it is not right to say that the current administration did not succeed or that its actions had no bearing.)

Asked if President Benigno Aquino III will congratulate Duterte, Coloma said they will have to wait.

“May tamang pagkakataon para sa mga nabanggit mo,” he told the reporter who asked.

(There is a right time for what you mentioned.)

He said Aquino’s election message showed that the President was open to the decision of the people and that he only has good wishes for the next administration. JE

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: duterte, Elections 2016, Malacañang, Palace, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved