PNP: Crime in Metro down by 60% since implementation of Oplan Lambat-Sibat
Crime incidents in Metro Manila went down by 60 percent since the implementation of the “Oplan Lambat-Sibat” in June last year, the Philippine National Police said on Thursday.
From 919 average incidents in a week, the PNP Directorate for Investigative and Detective Management recorded more than 60 percent decrease in crime trend or a total of 345 crime incidents in Metro Manila from May 4 to May 10.
The anticrime campaign, which utilizes specific police deployment in crime-prone areas, is the brainchild of Interior Secretary Mar Roxas.
“These types of crime are selected because these are the common crimes that affect peace and order in Metro Manila and they reflect the overall picture of criminal activities in NCR,” Senior Supt. Bartolome Tobias, PNP spokesperson, said in a statement on Thursday.
RELATED STORY: Despite dip in crime incidence, cops mustn’t relax–PNP
Meanwhile, PNP acting director for intelligence Chief Supt. Generoso Cerbo, former spokesperson, said the police had arrested 60 percent of all the most wanted persons in Metro Manila.
“Out of 603 wanted persons we captured 356 MWPs for the past 38 weeks. This means that for every 10 wanted persons, 6 of them are arrested by our competent police operatives,” Cerbo said.
Among the five police districts in the region, he said the Northern Police District has captured the most number of MWPs since Lambat-Sibat’s implementation, which is 71 percent or 52 out of 73 MWPs in their area.