APEC 2015 APEC 2015 APEC 2015

Radio broadcaster killed in Tagbilaran

SHARES:

04:27 PM February 14th, 2015

Recommended
By: Kristine Angeli Sabillo, Nestor Corrales, February 14th, 2015 04:27 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A Bohol-based radio broadcaster was killed on Saturday afternoon, the National Union of Journalists of the Philippines (NUJP) confirmed.

The NUJP said Engr. Maurito Lim, who anchored the program “Chairman Mao On Board,” was shot by a gunman on a motorcycle as he alighted from his car. The shooting happened at around 10:35 a.m. in front of the dyRD radio station in Tagbilaran.

The 71-year-old Lim was reportedly hit on the left jaw, with the bullet exiting his right ear.

NUJP-Tagbilaran vice chairperson Leo Udtuhan said the victim was brought to the Governor Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital, which was across the radio station. He had undergone an operation but died at 1:15 p.m.

Udtuhan said Lim had been known for criticizing local officials allegedly involved in the illegal drug trade.

“Lim was the second journalist killed in Tagbilaran, the 172nd since 1986, and the 34th under President Benigno Aquino III,” Dabet Panelo, NUJP media safety coordinator, said in a statement.

A report by DZMM said that the police have secured a copy of the closed circuit television camera (CCTV) installed near the incident area and is now identifying the assailant.

RELATED STORIES

Abante reporter shot dead in Bataan

Broadcast journalist shot dead in Tawi-tawi

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.