Quantcast
Latest Stories

Supreme Court halts power rate hike

By ,
,

 

MANILA, Philippines — The Supreme Court prevented the Manila Electric Co. on Monday from implementing an announced increase in its electricity rate within the next 60 days at least.

The high court’s order came as Meralco had started to implement in its December billings the first phase of a staggered collection of an increase of P4.15 kilowatt per hour in the rate it charges its 5.3 million customers that was approved by the Energy Regulatory Commission last December 9. The rest of the rate increase was to be implemented in February and March next year.

Supreme Court spokesman Theodore Te announced the high court’s 60-day temporary restraining order against Meralco at a news briefing  Monday, saying the court was acting on two petitions filed only last week.

The TRO was issued by the authority of Chief Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno upon the recommendation of the justice who heads the division assigned to handle the case.

The high court is currently on a two-week holiday break.

The temporary restraining order directed the  ERC and its agents not to implement a  Dec. 9, 2013 order approving Meralco’s request for approval of its application for  an increase in the rate it charges its customers. It also ordered Meralco not to implement the increase it sought in its Dec. 5, 2013 letter to the ERC.

The high court ordered that the two petitions opposing the power rate hike be consolidated and ordered the ERC and Meralco to file their respective comments on or before  January 8.

The petitions were filed by the six party-list lawmakers from the so-called Makabayan bloc (Bayan Muna, Gabriela Women, Act Teachers and Kabataan Party list) and by a group composed of the National Association of Electricity Consumers for Reforms, Federation of Village Associations and Federation of Las Pinas Homeowners.

The court set oral arguments on the issue on January 21.

Asked what would happen in increased charges already implemented, Te said, “That would be addressed once the court decides” on the case.

Noting that the court order came two days before Christmas, Bayan Muna Representatve Neri Colmenares, one of the petitioners, said the TRO was a “Christmas gift of the SC to the much burdened consumers.”

“Besides, even with the statement of the Department of Energy, we cannot trust the supposed goodwill of the power cartel to defer their collection because without a clear TRO they would argue that they can collect the rate hike anytime. The TRO is legally stronger than a mere DOE-ERC announcement,” Colmenares said in a statement he issued a few hours after the Te announced the TRO.

Another petitioner, Petronilo Ilagan of Nasecor, praised the high court for its decision.

“We hail with great respect and gratitude the SC decision upholding consumer interest and we look forward to a favorable resolution granting our prayers,” Ilagan said in a text message.

Meanwhile, Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said that the TRO would not affect her department’s investigation into alleged collusion among power companies to jack up prices of electricity sold to Meralco by shutting down a number of power plans at the same time for maintenance work. The power plant shutdowns brought about a shortage in power supply.

“I can surmise that the investigations being done on the alleged collusion of power players in the Meralco rates is one of the considerations of the (high court) in the issuance of the TRO,” De Lima told reporters.

She pointed out that it was not only her department that was investigating alleged collusion among the power plant owners as the Senate and Department of Energy were conducting their own probes.

The Makabayan bloc  filed a petition for certiorari and prohibition against the ERC’s approval of Meralco’s proposal to pass on to consumers the increase in the generation cost for November.

It also questioned the constitutionality of two provisions of the Electric Power Industry Reform Act of 2011 which say that power generation and supply sectors are not public utilities and that their charges to the public are beyond ERC regulation.

Nasecor, meanwhile, questioned ERC’s immediate approval of the power rate increase without public notice and hearing.

Both petitioners askedfor a TRO or a status quo ante order from the high court and got it on Monday.

Originally posted at 12:45p.m.

Related Stories:

SC asked to stop Meralco’s record power-rate increase

DOJ, NBI urged to launch in-depth probe into power rate hike collusion

Appeals court nixes advocacy group case vs ERC


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Electricity , ERC , MERALCO , Philippines , power , Supreme Court




To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  2. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  3. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  4. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  5. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. At 77, Erap has Easter treat for Manila cops but keeps City Hall folk in agony
  8. Solons seek ample protection for bank depositors
  9. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  10. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • ‘I’ll make it,’ says young ferry passenger to family
  • Bad weather halts rescue after deadliest Everest disaster
  • Gigi Reyes has no other option but to turn state witness — Santiago
  • US weighing military exercises in Eastern Europe
  • Rains loom in Surigao as LPA nears
  • Sports

  • Nick Calathes suspension a reminder of supplement risk
  • Teague scores 28 as Hawks soar past Pacers in Game 1
  • Warriors beat Clippers in playoff opener
  • Pacquiao top Mayweather contender
  • Rain or Shine, Ginebra clash for No. 6 spot
  • Lifestyle

  • Noli Yamsuan, Cardinal Sin’s ‘official’ photographer: ‘I could smell the aftershave lotion of the Pope’
  • Simplifying and lightening life
  • Where to go for Easter night-out
  • Joe de Venecia visits the Queen Mother of Cambodia
  • Fashionistas flock to designer’s wedding
  • Entertainment

  • Show-biz celebrities’ other choices of summer getaway
  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Business

  • Top-selling insurance agent opens her dream café
  • Connecting and transacting with one another
  • Building wealth for health
  • Why Mandaue Foam buys, rather than rents, space
  • A workplace of new possibilities
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Epiphany
  • Unpaid creditor vs distressed debtor
  • Moving on
  • From culinary desert to paradise
  • Response to China: ‘Usjaphil’
  • Global Nation

  • Asia seeks Obama’s assurance in territorial spats
  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Filipinos in US poised for success
  • Visas for priests and other faith leaders
  • DOH to continue tracking co-passengers of OFW infected with MERS virus
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement