Quantcast
pork barrel

Aftershocks in Bohol, parts of Visayas to continue ‘from weeks to months’–Phivolcs

By |


MANILA, Philippines — At least 1,597 aftershocks had been recorded from Tuesday’s earthquake that struck Central Visayas and parts of Mindanao.

The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology said that there were 1,597 aftershocks as of 7 a.m. Friday, but only 29 of these were felt.

The strongest of the aftershocks was the 5.5 magnitude recorded on Thursday morning.

“These may continue for weeks to months, but diminishing in number and strength as time passes. In this case, a higher magnitude earthquake related to this event is no longer expected to occur,” Phivolcs said.

As of Friday morning, 172 had been recorded killed from the temblor.

Police reports in Bohol said that there were 160 fatalities as of latest.

In Cebu, there were 11 killed while in Siquijor there was one, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

There are 375 injured, while 20 persons in Bohol are still missing.

There are 162,566 persons displaced in evacuation centers.


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: aftershocks , Bohol , Earthquake , Phivolcs




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement