Binay: No evidence vs former VP
De Castro over Pag-Ibig fund anomalyBy Danica Hermogenes
MANILA, Philippines — There is no evidence that will require the inclusion of former Vice President Noli de Castro in the charge sheet involving the alleged anomalous transaction between Home Development Mutual Fund (Pag-Ibig Fund) and Globe Asiatique, Vice President Jejomar Binay, concurrent chairman of the Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council, said in an interview with 990AM Tuesday.
“He was not included but if there will be evidence, we will include him but as of now there is no reason to include him,” Binay said.
De Castro led the previous board of Pag-Ibig.
Binay, who personally prepared the needed documents, said the government had a very strong case against Globe Asiatique officers.
Last week, the justice department approved the filing of a syndicated estafa case against businessman Delfin Lee who owned the housing firm, his son and three associates.
Syndicated estafa, a non-bailable offense, is punishable by life imprisonment.
The case stems from the allegedly anomalous loans granted by Pag-Ibig Fund to “ghosts borrowers” who had allegedly bought properties from Lee’s Globe Asiatique housing projects in Pampanga province.
The Department of Justice (DoJ) also ordered the indictment of Lee’s son Dexter, Globe Asiatique officers Christina Sagun and Cristina Salagan and Pag-Ibig Fund official Alex Alvarez.
Senior Deputy State Prosecutor Theodore Villanueva referred to the Office of the Ombudsman for “appropriate investigation” former Pag-Ibig Fund executives Romero Quimbo, Jaime Fabian, Tessie Gonzales, Rafael Albano and Vilma Flores for possible violation of the anti-graft law.
The important thing is that the interest of Pag-Ibig is protected, he said.