Quantcast
pork barrel

Aquino confident AFP can quell Zambo conflict–Palace

By |


President Bengino Aquino III. INQUIRER File Photo

MANILA, Philippines–President Benigno Aquino III has “full confidence” on the ability of the Armed Forces to suppress any number of uprisings anywhere in the country, his spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said on Monday.

“There is no problem in so far as the leadership of the Chief of Staff General Manny Bautista. The President has full confidence in him. We have seen the response of the Armed Forces of the Philippines. They were prepared to face the situation in Zamboanga City and now they are ready to respond to this  firefight with the BIFF  (Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters) which has already ceased,” said Lacierda in a briefing.

“We have resources capable of handling both Zamboanga and Midsayap.”

Based on a report by military spokesperson Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala, Lacierda said a contingent of BIFF men– leader and number unknown– clashed with one Army platoon at 8:35 a.m. Monday in Sitio Mirasol, Barangay (village) Polomugen, Midsayap, Cotabato while the latter were conducting combat and clearing operations. The encounter was hot on the heels of a BIFF skirmish in Barangay Rangaban 3 in the same town.

Lacierda said that as of 1 p.m. Monday, the military reported one dead and one injured among its troops while it has successfully negotiated, with the help of the local barangay chair, for the release of a teacher who was one of four hostages taken by the BIFF.

Lacierda said that he has no information on whether the North Cotabato skirmish was connected to the siege in Zamboanga City.

He said the military has so far responded positively on what he called as “actionable intelligence” on the ground such as advanced information of a mass gathering of armed MILF troops in Zamboanga City which was partially spoiled by a firefight at sea to disperse the rebel forces and prevent them from going to their “prepositioned areas.”


Follow Us




Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Conflict , Insurgency , Military , Moro , News




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement