Comelec to post names of third-termer barangay execs
More News from Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—The Commission on Elections will post online the names of barangay officials on their third and final term to shame them from running again in the coming barangay elections next month, Comelec officials said Wednesday.
Comelec commissioner Christian Robert Lim said those who will persist on seeking an illegal third term would be disqualified and then charged with perjury and committing an election offense, which is punishable by at least six years in prison.
“We are warning them so we are posting (their names). At the same time, at least the public would know who would be overstaying,” Lim said in a press briefing.
“They should be embarrassed if they file their certificate of candidacy,” he added.
Comelec Commissioner Grace Padaca said the Comelec had identified at least 928 barangay captains on their third terms in four regions.
She said there were 281 barangay chiefs on their last term in the National Capital Region, 275 in the Zamboanga Peninsula, 183 in the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao, and 189 in the Davao Region.
“We also want to ask the public to help us identify because just imagine, there are 42,028 barangays (with each having) one barangay chief (and) seven kagawads,” Lim said.
“So, we really need the help of the public in monitoring,” he added.
Lim said election officials might accept the COCs filed by so-called third-termers but this does not mean that they can run in the elections.
“After the filing of COCs from October 11 to 17, the election officers will prepare the list of the reported third termers who still filed their COCs. They will transmit that to the main office,” Lim said.
“The main office will then decide whether to file moto propio the cancellation of the certificates of candidacy of these sitting third-termers,” he added.
Lim also said that ordinary citizens or the opponents of third terms who filed COCs could also move to have them disqualified.
“If you’re a third-termer, there are issues about your eligibility and qualification. You can be disqualified and your COC canceled,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Comelec said it had already printed nearly half of the 54,0951,626 ballots that would be used in the barangay elections on October 28.
As of 7:30 a.m. Wednesday, 25,956,403 ballots had been printed, of which 8,534,282 pieces have been “verified and released” to the Packing and Shipping Committee.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94