Senate ‘pork’ probe set next week as DOJ readies raps
MANILA, Philippines —The Senate will resume its investigation next week on the alleged P10 billion “pork barrel” scam to give the Department of Justice “ample time” to prepare for the filing of charges against those involved in the scam, Senator Teofisto Guingona III said on Wednesday.
“The committee gave the Department of Justice and the whistleblowers in the case ample time to prepare for the filing of charges against those implicated in the alleged Napoles ‘pork barrel scam,'” Guingona said in a statement, referring to the Senate blue ribbon committee, which he heads.
The committee, investigating the scam, so far, conducted three hearings every Thursday over the last three weeks.
Still invited to the next hearing of the committee on September 24 are Benhur Luy, principal witness in the scam, and other whistleblowers.
Luy first appeared in the hearing last week when he narrated how the legislators’ Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) or “pork barrel” went to alleged fake non-government organizations created by detained businesswoman Janet Lim-Napoles.
Luy also alleged that some legislators from the Senate and House of Representatives received kickbacks from Napoles, tagged as the mastermind behind the scam.