Quantcast
Latest Stories

Binay bristles at criticisms: I talked to Aquino

By

Vice President Jejomar Binay: The President and I talked. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines—Vice President Jejomar Binay on Monday bristled at criticism of his failed attempt to broker a ceasefire between government troops and the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) in Zamboanga City, particularly decrying the Inquirer report on his mediation.

Reached by the Inquirer by phone, Binay declined to answer questions, except to reiterate that he spoke with President Aquino before pursuing negotiations with MNLF founder Nur Misuari, who he said was his classmate in college.

“The President and I talked,” Binay said on Monday.

Binay’s camp reiterated that President Aquino was aware of the talks between the Vice President and Misuari as early as Wednesday last week.

Midnight announcement

On his Twitter account (@VPJojoBinay), the Vice President also said Monday afternoon: “On Sept 11, I suggested to Pres. @noynoyaquino (President Aquino) a possible peaceful settlement of the Zamboanga crisis. He approved of my involvement.”

Binay announced shortly before midnight on Friday that he had brokered a deal between Misuari and Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin for a ceasefire while pursuing a “peaceful settlement” of the conflict.

Conflicting reports followed: Gazmin and the military denied there was a ceasefire while Binay said the truce did not hold, as one side did not follow and that the exchange of gunfire continued.

Binay flew to Zamboanga City on Saturday to mediate between Aquino and Misuari but the effort apparently failed, as both sides rejected terms each had set to end the hostilities.

The Inquirer was directly in touch with Binay from Friday midnight until Saturday, following his meeting with the President.

Bias

Implying bias against him, Binay said Inquirer reports quoting Cabinet secretaries who apparently did not know about his involvement in negotiations were not true.

“All the reports your paper published are lies,” Binay said.

“The damage has been done,” he said, declining to answer further questions about the failed truce negotiations. “It will not come out anyway,” he said.

Binay, who drew flak on social media for trying to get a role in resolving the Zamboanga crisis, was apparently incensed by the Inquirer report that quoted several Cabinet officials who were not aware that he was involved in the negotiations.

‘Inserting himself’

One official said Binay was “trying to insert himself” as there were “no instructions” for him to go to Zamboanga and act as mediator between the government and Misuari.

National Security Adviser Cesar Garcia also said he was not aware that Binay was involved while Presidential Peace Adviser Teresita Deles said Gazmin was already asleep at the time the Vice President made the ceasefire announcement.

Gazmin confirmed that Binay called him up and asked about the possibility of negotiating a ceasefire with Misuari.

The defense chief quoted Binay as saying the government side “would initiate a ceasefire.” Gazmin said his response was there would be a truce only if the MNLF stopped shooting.

Gazmin said “there was no ceasefire” because the MNLF rebels continued shooting.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Benigno Aquino III , Ceasefire , Jejomar Binay , Moro National Liberation Front , Nur Misuari , Philippines , Zamboanga attacks




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. US teacher fired over comment on black president
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. Filipinos, Dane re-enact crucifixion of Christ
  4. Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
  5. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Massive infra spending set
  8. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  9. Easter crucifixions draw huge crowds
  10. Korea ferry captain arrested, divers spot bodies
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • 16 suffer burns in Batangas sugar factory accident
  • Angat level drops; cloud seeding set
  • Indigenous aspiration in Bangsamoro
  • Banahaw continues to lure pilgrims, trekkers
  • Passion of Christ moves survivors
  • Sports

  • Tottenham beats Fulham 3-1 in Premier League
  • Martino defends Messi, takes blame for Barca fail
  • Vettel hoping for resurgence at Chinese GP
  • MLB pitcher donates $100,000 for Sewol ferry victims
  • Hamilton takes pole at Chinese Grand Prix
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Minnie Driver plays devastated mother to a stillborn child
  • Business

  • A workplace of new possibilities
  • Learning by doing: pilgrimage of faith
  • Fiat-Chrysler to produce iconic Jeep in China from 2015
  • US commerce secretary spells out economic facet of ‘pivot to Asia’
  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Filipinos in US poised for success
  • Visas for priests and other faith leaders
  • DOH to continue tracking co-passengers of OFW infected with MERS virus
  • 5 Filipinos with MERS in UAE reported in stable condition
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement