Quantcast
Napoles
Latest Stories

Project stopped but funds released

Jathropa plantation from pork of solon alleged to be ex-Napoles operator


REP. NANCY Catamco (left) poses with Speaker Feliciano Belmonte after taking her oath as a member of the House of Representatives. PHOTO FROM CATAMCO’S FACEBOOK ACCOUNT

DAVAO CITY–At least P9 million of public funds, credited to the pork barrel of a legislator accused of once being an operator of alleged pork scam queen Janet Lim-Napoles, have been withdrawn for a nonexistent project to grow jathropa, according to a former congressman and the incumbent legislator’s political rival.

Bernardo “Jun”  Piñol Jr., former North Cotabato representative, said part of Rep. Nancy Catamco’s pork was spent supposedly on a jathropa plantation in President Roxas town in North Cotabato.

For indigenous peoples

Catamco, described by Piñol as an operator of Napoles before she won a seat in the House of Representatives, had supposedly wanted the plantation to benefit and “uplift the condition of the indigenous peoples”  in the villages of Bato-bato and Lanao Kuran in Arakan, a town next to President Roxas.

By end of 2012, Piñol said a Commission on Audit (COA) report confirmed that P9 million of public funds had been withdrawn through Catamco’s pork for the supposed P13-million jathropa project.

“But there was no jathropa plantation,”  said Piñol.

 

No projects

Isaac Bangcaya, President Roxas town agriculturist, said he had issued a certification to the COA that no jathropa plantation existed in the town supposedly funded through Catamco’s pork. The certification was issued when the COA conducted a physical audit of the supposed project.

Bangcaya said the certification that he issued, and another one issued by the municipal agriculturist of Arakan also saying that no jathropa plantation existed in Arakan, prompted the COA to stop the release of another P3 million for Catamco’s project, which Catamco had been following up.

Piñol said this was one example of the scam that Catamco allegedly perpetrated under the pork barrel system.

“Her scam involving other agencies, such as the National Irrigation Administration, the Department of Health and the Department of Agriculture, should also be investigated,”  said Piñol.

“She should not hide behind (Interior Secretary) Mar Roxas,”  he said.

Piñol said he received a call from some lawmakers castigating him for ratting on Catamco.

Catamco said other legislators expressed concern over Piñol’s “politically motivated tirades.”

“Can he not wait until the next elections? These are lies,”  she said.

Funds ‘intact’

Catamco, however, said she indeed proposed a jathropa plantation in President Roxas town. The project is supposed to be for implementation by the Philippine Environmental and Ecological Development Association (Peeda), a nongovernment organization (NGO) based in Cagayan de Oro City and headed by Butch Canoy.

The project, however, has been put on hold after a study showed that indigenous peoples in Arakan would not benefit from it, that the supposed beneficiaries have no technical expertise to handle it and that the project would become just a “white elephant,”  or useless.

The partner of Peeda in the project was Philippine Forest Corp., which was also allegedly bled of hundreds of millions of pesos by the Napoles network of bogus NGOs.

“I had thought that a rubber plantation would be more appropriate for them (indigenous peoples),”  she said.

Catamco said she had written the COA to say the project is being modified from jathropa to one that people really wanted.

She said people who had been identified as beneficiaries of the jathropa project actually wanted a plantation for rubber, coffee, cacao or coconuts.

Catamco, in a letter to the COA on Sept. 13, said she had been waiting for a reply from Philforest and Peeda to her request to amend the contract for the jathropa plantation.

Catamco said money had been withdrawn for the project but the funds are “intact.”

“I don’t know why this issue is being resurrected,”  said Catamco. She said she believed Piñol  is just trying to get “media mileage.”

“I already explained why the jathropa project had been shelved many times in the past and I answered all the questions, even by the COA,”  she said.

Catamco said she does not worry about being dragged into the pork scandal because she can account for all her projects.

Turning to Piñol, Catamco said, “Whatever he did to his PDAF (Priority Development Assistance Fund, the official name of pork), he is accountable to that.”

“Regarding my PDAF, I am fully accountable for it,”  she said.

Piñol  said since funds had already been withdrawn, “you have to submit accomplishment reports.”

Evidence

“Why the revision now when funds had already been withdrawn?”  said Piñol. “Meaning, they had presented accomplishment reports for the original project. Meaning, it must have been implemented already,”  he said.

Catamco said should Piñol  continue to attack her with claims, she would answer only if the former lawmaker is able to present hard evidence.

“Civility dictates that since Jun Piñol  is the one throwing allegations, it is his sole obligation to prove the same,”  said Catamco.

Piñol  had linked Catamco to Napoles, saying the female legislator is behind the Aaron Foundation, an NGO that figured prominently in the fertilizer scam that also allegedly involved Napoles and the scam’s alleged architect, former Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn “Joc-joc”  Bolante.

Catamco had denied any direct link with Aaron, saying the NGO was just a client of her company, Perzebos, which distributes fertilizers.

Piñol  said she is challenging Catamco to make her denial “under oath.”  Allan Nawal, Inquirer Mindanao


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Bernardo “Jun” Piñol Jr. , Graft and Corruption , Janel Napoles , Janet Lim Napoles , Jathropa , North Cotabato , PDAF , pork barrel scam




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Makati readies 12-month traffic plan for Skyway 3
  • Heard on Radyo Inquirer 990AM
  • Did you know
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Honda upgrades PH plant
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement