Quantcast
Napoles
Latest Stories

Ombudsman assigns 3 teams to probe pork barrel scam

By

Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales INQUIRER file photo

MANILA, Philippines–Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales has assigned no less than 45 members of her agency to work on the pork barrel scam investigation, even as she refused to be pressured by public calls to file charges immediately.

Morales said she has already put three 15-member teams to work “to speed up this case” while waiting for the report of the National Bureau of Investigation.

She said she has not been told of the supposed plan of the Department of Justice to transmit to them on Monday the NBI’s fact-finding report on the case against alleged scam mastermind Janet Lim-Napoles.

“I have created three teams of 15 members each (for various tasks). There are those who analyze (evidence), those who validate and those who will write the recommendation,” Morales told reporters Friday at the inaugural Ombudsman-sponsored lecture that featured a former member of Indonesia’s Corruption Eradication Commission.

“As much as we’d like to accelerate the proceedings, we cannot really determine (when to file the case). But we are trying because people are expecting results. You cannot file (a case) just to meet public expectations that it should be filed right away,” she continued.

“No we don’t do that. There is such a thing as due process. We have to be very sure of what we are doing,” Morales stressed.

She said Benhur Luy, Napoles’ aide-turned-accuser, has already faced the Ombudsman’s own fact-finding investigators.

But the Ombudsman panel was no longer able to ask former NBI Director Nonnatus Rojas “clarificatory” questions because he resigned before the scheduled interview last week.

Morales said she herself has not spoken to Luy.

The retired Supreme Court justice said she did not watch the testimony of Luy before the Senate blue ribbon committee Thursday because she had been busy.

“I was so occupied in my work. My attention was called by my staff but I just took a glance. I saw Luy was smiling, that’s all I saw,” she said.

The Office of the Ombudsman is conducting its parallel fact-finding investigation while waiting for the NBI to submit its own findings and recommendation through the DOJ.

It is ultimately up to the Ombudsman if charges will be filed.

“We try to see to it that it’s going to be a very exhaustive fact-finding investigation. It’s very difficult to predict how much time (the investigation will take). We are not aware yet of the magnitude of the problem,” Morales said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: investigation , Janet Lim Napoles , News , Ombudsman , pork barrel scam




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Man wins half marathon, dies in Argentina
  • Clouds to bring slight relief from summer heat
  • Canadians rally to legalize marijuana
  • S. Korea ferry transcript reveals evacuation panic
  • Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement