Quantcast
Latest Stories

Palace to MNLF: Stand down or brace for full military attack

By

Presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang issued on Thursday an ultimatum to Moro rebels holding hostages in Zamboanga City to stand down, or risk a full-blown confrontation with government troops.

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda made it clear that the government would not hesitate to use force to end the four-day crisis.

“We are exploring all options,” he said at a briefing in the Palace.

“The forces of the state are ready to exercise the resolve of the government. While the government is exhausting all avenues for a peaceful resolution to the situation, let it be clear to those defying us that they should not entertain the illusion that the state will hesitate to use its forces to protect our people,” said Lacierda.

“Instead, it is time for you to cooperate to resolve this situation peacefully at the soonest possible time. As for others who seek to take advantage of the situation, you will fail,” he stressed.

He said the “armed group” in Zamboanga “can take this statement as it is, and let them assess the situation on their own.”

President Aquino had no plans to fly to Zamboanga on Thursday or on Friday, with Communications Secretary Ricky Carandang belying rumors that Aquino had intended to go to Mindanao as early as Thursday evening.

The Palace issued the ultimatum after select members of the Cabinet—Secretaries Teresita Deles (peace process), Albert del Rosario (foreign affairs), Rene Almendras (Cabinet secretary), Joseph Abaya (transportation), Florencio Abad (budget), Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa (presidential legal counsel), Paquito Ochoa (executive secretary) Carandang and Lacierda—met with President.

The President did not hold the closed-door meeting at the Palace but at the New Executive Building (NEB), which houses the offices of Secretaries Lacierda, Carandang, Caguioa and Herminio Coloma, among others.

This surprised the Malacañang Press Corps whose press office is located on the ground floor.

At the briefing, Carandang explained what the President was doing in his office at NEB, and why the hasty change of venue for the meeting.

“Actually, we were just having lunch. I had a meeting with some of the Cabinet secretaries, including Secretary (Jose Rene) Almendras, Lacierda, (Teresita) Deles. We were discussing some of the issues that are ongoing and many of the Cabinet secretaries who were present in my office were going to be present in some of the President’s other meetings this afternoon. So when he found out that they were in my office, he came and joined us,” said Carandang.

He said that during the informal lunch meeting, there was discussion on the burning issues of the day.

“(We discussed) the (Senate) hearings that are going on right now, we discussed that a little bit. We discussed the incident in Zamboanga. We discussed even energy issues and some economic issues. After which, the President went back to his office,” he said.

Lacierda addressed the ultimatum to the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).

“Groups opposed to the peace process, or who want to impose a peace solely from their viewpoint and on their terms, have sought to create disturbances. We have witnessed the bombing of Cagayan de Oro City and other similar events,” he said, reading from a statement.

He observed that there had been a lot of text messages circulating, “causing confusion and alarm among our people.”

Setting the record straight, he explained that the crisis was stoked by armed MNLF members who wanted to proceed to Zamboanga City supposedly to exercise their right to peaceful assembly.

“But the right to peaceful assembly cannot be exercised while bearing arms. In fact, when they tried to conduct a ‘peace rally’ in Sulu, they were prevented from doing so because they were armed.

“Allegedly, they attempted to do the same in Zamboanga City, where some of their members were arrested by the PNP; others were caught in a firefight in the waters off Zamboanga City by elements of the Philippine Navy. And those seeking safety inside coastal barangays have had to disperse,” said Lacierda.

According to him, there was an encounter in Basilan on Thursday, when members of the renegade Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) and Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG), estimated at around 150, ostensibly tried to attack Lamitan City.

The armed forces stopped them, and after a two-hour firefight, went on a hot pursuit, he said.

“The BIFF and ASG assumed they could take advantage of the situation. They were wrong. As others who will also make similar attempts will be proven wrong,” he said.

“To the people of Zamboanga City, your government stands in solidarity with you and is working to ensure your needs are met,” he said.

The President has directed national government agencies to attend to the needs of the people of Zamboanga City and the BASULTA (Basilan-Sulu-Tawi-tawi) area by providing basic supplies through the Department of Transportation and Communications and Department of Trade and Industry.

He also asked the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas to ensure sufficient supplies of currency.

“We ask further cooperation from the people of Zamboanga City: we reiterate that there are people relishing this situation and who seek to inflame passions for various reasons. Please understand that rumors of abductions of religious leaders and firefights that did not take place, which are spread through anonymous text messages, aim to take advantage of you. Instead, listen to the authorities, who will give you the truth all the time,” said Lacierda.

He said the Palace was “very pleased” with the performance of the Zamboanga City government led by Mayor Isabel Climaco-Salazar.

“Despite being new to the job, she has demonstrated true leadership. We appeal to those eyeing the coming barangay elections to set aside politics when we are all busy ensuring the safety of our fellow citizens in Zamboanga City,” said Lacierda.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter

Other Stories:


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • 4 Etihad passengers not yet located
  • DAR to complete installation of Luisita land reform beneficiaries in May
  • Ex-COA chief and co-accused in Arroyo plunder case nabbed
  • Kris Aquino’s ex- close in security named new Air Force chief
  • The ‘link diagram’ that killed ex-Bataan police officer
  • Sports

  • NLEX holds off Jumbo Plastic for a playoff berth
  • Pacquiao can dodge tax issues
  • F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone rejects bribery charges
  • Big Chill freezes Cafe France to arrest skid
  • Pacquiao has to go through PBA Rookie draft
  • Lifestyle

  • A haven for steak lovers
  • Gongs and southern dances star in a workshop at San Francisco Bayanihan Center
  • This woman ate what?
  • Photos explore dynamics of youths’ sexual identity
  • 12th Philippine Food Expo set at the World Trade Center
  • Entertainment

  • Smithsonian wants photos, videos for ‘Day in the Life of Asian Pacific Americans’
  • What Garcia Marquez left behind
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • Sony developing live-action Barbie comedy
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Business

  • Metro Pacific acquires stake in Victorias
  • How ‘one percent’ economic elite was uncovered
  • Facebook profits triple as mobile soars
  • Insular Honors Sales Performers at Testimonial Rites
  • Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
  • Technology

  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • DOLE sees more Filipinos hired by South Koreans
  • Filipinos second-shortest in Southeast Asia
  • Obama to visit Filipino soldiers in Fort Bonifacio
  • Fil-Am youth conferences unite under one theme
  • Embassy advisory: Filipinos still need visas to enter US
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement