Quantcast
Latest Stories

Palace: Embezzling pork among Arroyo ‘land mines’

By

The P10-billion pork barrel scam is one of the “land mines” left by the Arroyo administration, Malacañang said Saturday.

“It’s one of the challenges that the administration faces and this is not a challenge that had been unknown to the President,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a radio interview.

“Remember, in the beginning, the President was always saying, ‘What did they leave? Let’s uncover the land mines.’ And in the process of doing that, in the process of appointing competent, trusted and honest people to government offices that serve as part of the checks and balances in government, we see all these (irregularities),” Valte said.

“And certainly, it’s a challenge that we face and that we accept,” she said.

Valte said all the criticisms being thrown at the administration concerning the pork barrel scam would be dealt with when the National Bureau of Investigation brought plunder and malversation charges against the legislators and their conduits, whether civilian or congressional staff.

Valte made this clear when told that senators linked to the scam have branded the NBI investigation as a trial by publicity.

“And we have assurances of Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales that they (the interagency investigative committee) will really look into those mentioned in the (Commission on Audit) report from 2007 to 2009,” Valte said, referring to the special audit of the releases of legislators’ allocations from the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) from 2007 to 2009.

Making all accountable

Valte belied criticism that the irregularity uncovered by the Inquirer involving the PDAF has undermined the gains of the Aquino administration in the campaign against corruption.

“The [goal] of all of these is to make accountable those who sinned against the people. It’s very simple. And to get to that, we have to be [sure] that the cases that will be filed are based on solid evidence and [the investigation] will not favor anyone,” Valte said.

“We’re only going after accountability (on the part of lawmakers),” she said.

Valte said she expected foreign investors to welcome the anticorruption crusade of the administration.

Slow progress

Valte could not say, however, how long the investigation would run.

“Whether or not this (investigation) will drag is a question that the executive cannot answer … because it’s not only the executive that’s involved here … [T]he judiciary is likewise [involved],” she said.

The administration expects challenges even after the trial starts, principally the slow pace of the case in court, Valte said.

But President Aquino wants the cases to be filed and the guilty people to be convicted before his term ends, she said.

“[T]he power to acquit or convict is not in the hands of the executive,” she added.

Related Story:

Janet Napoles and the pork barrel scam


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Abigail Valte , Arroyo administration , P10-billion pork barrel scam , pork barrel scam




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • $57-B mega plan to solve Metro’s mega woes
  • Aquino vows to step up fight against corruption
  • Santiago scoffs at rushing defense pact for Obama visit
  • Former solon, 2 others sanctioned for unfair labor practice
  • Let us pray for the nation, healing priest asks leaders
  • Sports

  • PH pug Hipolito Banal decisions Colombian in Aiba
  • Former Pacquiao sparmate Porter keeps IBF title
  • Grueling 2014 Le Tour de Filipinas hits road
  • ICTSI Tour big hitters have edge at Sherwood
  • What Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather could do
  • Lifestyle

  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Korean animation comes of age
  • Entertainment

  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Special section in LA fest for Filipino films
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement