Palace releases its version of timeline of Napoles surrender

A+
A
A-

Janet Lim-Napoles INQUIRER.net FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines– Chronology of events leading to the voluntary surrender of Janet Lim-Napoles, according to presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda:

August 28, Wednesday morning: President Aquino  announced  a P10-million reward for Napoles’ arrest.

12:37p.m.– Lacierda phoned Napoles’ lawyer, Lorna Kapunan about her supposed interview on television that her client was willing to surrender.

“We would like to surrender. If at all, let me confirm with my client that we would like to surrender to the President,” Lacierda quoted Kapunan as saying.

When he asked why the President, Lacierda said, Kapunan told him:  “Because [he’s] the person that we trust.”

Lacierda then immediately reported his conversation with Kapunan to the President.

4:06 p.m.–  Kapunan phoned Lacierda to say that Napoles was willing to surrender to the President.

“Her (Napoles) only request was that her safety be secured, owing to the fact that there was, on her part, there was fear for or there were threats on her life,” Lacierda said.

Lacierda said he immediately went back to the President, who at that time had already made instructions to Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas II.

6:50 p.m. Lacierda, along with escorts provided by Roxas to secure Napoles,
left the Palace to meet with Kapunan in Pasong Tamo, Makati City.

On his way, however, the spokesman said, he got a call from Kapunan, asking him to meet him at the White Space.

At the White Space, Lacierda said he saw Kapunan with Napoles’ husband, Jimmy.

“They boarded the vehicle where I was,” Lacierda said.

It was Mr. Napoles, he said, who told them to go to Heritage Park in Taguig.

8:06 p.m.–The group arrived at the Heritage Park.

9:08 p.m., Mrs. Napoles and a female companion also arrived at the Heritage Park.

9:37 p.m.–The group, this time, with fugitive Napoles, arrived in Malacañang to meet with the President.

Lacierda said the meeting lasted for only about 10 minutes.

Among those present in the meeting aside from the President, Napoles, Lacierda, and Kapunan were Roxas, Cabinet Secretary Jose Rene Almendras, Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa, Undersecretary Abigail Valte, Usec. Manolo Quezon and Secretary Ricky Carandang.

Related Stories:

Napoles surrenders to Aquino—Palace

Janet Napoles and the pork barrel scam

Inquirer Viber

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94


editors' picks

advertisement

popular

advertisement

videos