Quantcast
Latest Stories

Hope brief in search for missing

By ,

NO WORDS can describe the grief of this woman who cries after seeing the body of a girl in the funeral home where the fatalities of the Aug. 16 sea tragedy are brought. TONEE DESPOJO/CEBU DAILY NEWS

CEBU CITY—Hope turned into despair in so short a time for Emmalyn Sinday, a 22-year-old survivor of the Aug. 16 sea tragedy here who has been searching for her missing daughter, Gwen.

Sinday’s search for Gwen led her on Aug. 17 to the terminal of 2Go at the city port where a list said her daughter was among those who survived when MV St. Thomas Aquinas, a cargo-passenger vessel owned by 2Go, was rammed by the cargo ship MV Sulpicio Express Siete off Talisay City.

On paper, Gwen, Sinday’s only child, was alive but Sinday wanted to take her daughter in her arms, which she was unable to do as huge waves kept them bobbing in turbulent waters in their life jackets together until a fisherman got hold of Gwen and Sinday tried to get over the separation with thoughts that her daughter, who was unconscious at that time, would at least be alive.

After seeing her daughter’s name on the list of survivors at the 2Go terminal, Sinday went to all the hospitals in the city and Talisay, hoping to see Gwen alive even if it meant seeing her with bruises or wounds, but alive.

The hospital search was fruitless, leaving Sinday with no other place to search but the one where all searches become dreadful—Cosmopolitan Funeral Homes here where fatalities from the Thomas Aquinas have been brought.

There, Sinday saw a row of unidentified bodies, the one in pink dress and pink shoes was unmistakably that of Gwen.

Sinday remembered the list at the 2Go terminal that said Gwen was alive. “I was angry because I did not believe she is dead,” Sinday said. “When I saw her here, I cried hard. I could not explain how I felt,” Sinday said at the funeral home.

Sinday was with an aunt and a cousin, who survived the ramming of Thomas Aquinas. She was on the ship bound for Manila to join her common-law husband, Felix, who had work there.

The agony continues for others who are still searching for their loved ones who had been aboard the Thomas Aquinas.

One is Mercedita, a 51-year-old employee of the Bureau of Customs, who traveled from Surigao City to here in search for her daughter, Geonidiza, one of those declared missing. Two of Geonidiza’s aunts had also been declared missing.

Like what Sinday did, Mercedita scoured all the hospitals here and in Talisay for Geonidiza. The search also took her to the Cosmopolitan, but Geonidiza was not there.

The search is over for others, but in the case of Vilma Maligro, 43, it is both over and continuing. Vilma is still in a state of shock after confirming that her husband, Hilario, also a passenger of the Thomas Aquinas, is among the dead. She couldn’t return home to Agusan del Sur, however, as her 8-year-old son Christian Mark and 78-year-old mother Agatona are still missing.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Vilma said. They were on the ship to be in Bohol for a fiesta in Loon.

Vilma last saw her son and mother jumping off the Thomas Aquinas as the vessel started to sink after being rammed  by the Sulpicio ship. Vilma, too afraid to jump, clung to a rope at the edge of the Thomas Aquinas until some hard object fell and knocked her unconscious.

She regained consciousness in the hospital where she was told of the death of her husband and the disappearance of her son and mother.

The death toll in the ramming of the Thomas Aquinas by the Sulpicio ship stood at 75 as of Thursday.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: News , Regions , sea accidents , St. Thomas Aquinas




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. US teacher fired over comment on black president
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. Filipinos, Dane re-enact crucifixion of Christ
  4. Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
  5. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Massive infra spending set
  8. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  9. Easter crucifixions draw huge crowds
  10. Korea ferry captain arrested, divers spot bodies
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  8. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  9. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • 16 suffer burns in Batangas sugar factory accident
  • Angat level drops; cloud seeding set
  • Indigenous aspiration in Bangsamoro
  • Banahaw continues to lure pilgrims, trekkers
  • Passion of Christ moves survivors
  • Sports

  • Tottenham beats Fulham 3-1 in Premier League
  • Martino defends Messi, takes blame for Barca fail
  • Vettel hoping for resurgence at Chinese GP
  • MLB pitcher donates $100,000 for Sewol ferry victims
  • Hamilton takes pole at Chinese Grand Prix
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • Why ‘Noah’ can’t dock his ark at Philippine theaters
  • Acclaimed artist goes wild while on holiday
  • Believing in this mermaid
  • Missing Xian
  • Minnie Driver plays devastated mother to a stillborn child
  • Business

  • A workplace of new possibilities
  • Learning by doing: pilgrimage of faith
  • Fiat-Chrysler to produce iconic Jeep in China from 2015
  • US commerce secretary spells out economic facet of ‘pivot to Asia’
  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Filipinos in US poised for success
  • Visas for priests and other faith leaders
  • DOH to continue tracking co-passengers of OFW infected with MERS virus
  • 5 Filipinos with MERS in UAE reported in stable condition
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement