2 arrested for drug pushing in Davao del Sur; P2M shabu seized in bustBy Eldie Aguirre |Inquirer Mindanao
DIGOS CITY, Davao del Sur, Philippines – Anti-drugs agents on Thursday arrested two suspected “big-time” drug pushers in what officials described as a P2-million shabu haul, the biggest in the province so far this year.
Senior Supt. John Michael Dubria, Southern Mindanao police’s intelligence chief, described the “major accomplishment” as the result of an effective planning, timing and community cooperation.
Emerson Rosales, director of the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), said PDEA operatives and anti-drugs agents from various police units in the province conducted another buy-bust operation and had convinced the suspects, whose names were still being withheld as follow-up operations were still being conducted, to meet up near the Gaisano Grand here.
Rosales said when the deal was consummated, anti-drugs agents announced the arrest of the suspects and seized from them at least 100 grams of white crystalline powder suspected to be shabu and cash money amounting to P50,000.
The seized illegal drugs had an estimated street value of least P2 million, Rosales said.
Dubria said the arrest of the two suspects came barely a day after 36-year-old Nenita Alcover, who had long been under surveillance for alleged drug pushing, fell into the hands of the police.
Alcover, who was also suspected of being a conduit of major drugs groups, was arrested on Wednesday inside her home on Jumao-as St. here.
Senior Supt. Ronaldo Llanera, Davao del Sur police director, said the buy-bust operations of the police have been in line with the intensified action against drug personalities as the deadline set by Davao del Sur Gov. Claude Bautista to crush the illegal drugs trade in the province was coming to an end.
In June, Bautista gave the police four months to put a stop to drugs here amid the growing reputation of the province as Southern Mindanao’s new shabu capital.
That timetable would end in October, Supt. Querubin Manalang, city police director, said.
Reacting to the latest arrests, Bautista said drug pushers should realize that Davao del Sur would not be the place for their business.
He also confirmed that authorities have been tailing other suspects and added that “you’re days are now numbered.”
“We know who you are and you will be dealt with accordingly,” Bautista said.
When he issued the policy against drugs upon assuming as governor in June, Bautista said he would not care if suspects were killed while resisting arrest.
Tags: Crime , Davao del Sur police , drug pushing , Drug trafficking , Emerson Rosales , Illegal drugs , law and justice , methamphetamine hydrochloride , Michael Dubria , News , PDEA , Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency , Philippine National Police , Police , police arrest , police operations , Ronaldo Llanera , shabu , Southern Mindanao police intelligence