Senate probe pushed into Cebu ship collision
More News from Maila Ager
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III is seeking a Senate investigation into last week’s sea mishap off Talisay City in Cebu to prevent similar accidents in the future.
Describing the incident as “unfortunate,” Pimentel said it was important to address the problems causing ship collisions even after the ships have been declared sea worthy by regulatory authorities in clear weather conditions.
“I am told that the Lawis Ledge, a narrow and treacherous strait where it occurred, had been the scene of minor sea transport mishaps in the past,” he said in a statement on Thursday, referring to the site of the sea disaster.
Aside from the need to check on the capabilities of the ship captains involved, Pimentel said, government agencies like the Maritime Industry Authority and the Philippine Coast Guard must adopt measures to ensure that such incidents would not happen again.
“There should be a way to warn ships, ferries and other vessels passing through the area to slow down and take the necessary precautions so that vessels smash-ups are avoided,” he said.
Pimentel noted that the same shipping company was involved in at least five major tragedies in the past, including the tragic sinking in 1987 of the ferry, Dona Paz which left more than 4,300 dead, then considered as the world’s worst peacetime maritime disaster.
The others were the Dona Marilyn which sank off Leyte amid a typhoon, killing more than 250 passengers, and the Princess of the Orient which sank in a port near Manila in similarly bad weather, leaving 150 casualties, both in 1988. The Princess of the Stars sank in the middle of a storm, claiming 50 victims.
All four ships, Pimentel said, were operated by Sulpicio Shipping Lines, Inc. that resumed operations in 2008 after getting suspended.
Sulpicio Lines is now carrying a new name Philippine Span Asia Carrier, Corp, owner of M/V Sulpicio Express Siete that collided with M/V St. Thomas Aquinas of 2GO Shipping Lines that sank last Friday, which left more than 70 people dead.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94