Monday, May 28, 2018
Close  
  • share this

65 dead in Cebu sea collision as PCG exec hopes for ‘miracle’

/ 09:00 PM August 20, 2013

AP FILE PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — Retrieved bodies from the Cebu sea mishap stood at 65 after Tuesday’s search operations, a Coast Guard official said.

The chief for Central Visayas Commodore William Melad told INQUIRER.net that 55 others were still missing as of 2:30p.m.

The rescued passengers remained at 750, as no new survivors had been found since Sunday night.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I believe…maybe there will be a miracle. You never know,” he said when asked if there were still hopes for finding survivors.

The MV Thomas Aquinas, a passenger vessel, collided with the MV Sulpicio Express 7, a cargo ship, off Talisay last Friday. Both ships had about 800 passengers and crew.

The incident also caused an oil spill, which placed the whole province of Cebu under a state of calamity on Monday.

Related Stories:
Death toll in ship collision now at 63; 57 still missing

Oil leaks from sunken ship affects 5 coastal villages in Cebu town

Despite name change, disaster hounds Sulpicio Lines

Related story:

History of ferry disasters in the Philippines

ADVERTISEMENT

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Accidents, Cebu, MV Thomas Aquinas, Shipping, Waterway and Maritime Accidents
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.