Floods hit parts of Metro Manila
MANILA, Philippines—Some areas in Metro Manila were flooded following the sudden downpour Sunday evening, the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority said.
MMDA said floodwaters reached gutter level in front of the University of Santo Tomas on España Boulevard past 7:30 p.m., while 7 inches to 8 inches floodwaters were reported on E. Rodriguez-Araneta Avenue.
On R. Papa Street in Manila, floodwaters rose to near knee-level.
Bobot Balbaboco of MMDA-Flood Control Unit earlier said 18 to 20 inches flood waters were recorded in Maysilo, Bonifacio Avenue in Mandaluyong City around 5 p.m., making the road impassable to small vehicles.
At around 10 p.m. other flooded areas were the following:
- Governor Pascual, Malabon: 10 inches
- Maria Clara, Malabonn: 10 inches
- Francis, Malabon: 10 inches
- Gumamela Street, Barangay Roxas, Quezon City: 20 inches
- Villa Espana, Araneta Avenue, Barangay Tatalon: 20 inches
- Biak na Bato, Barangay Sto. Domingo: 20 inches
- Rizal Avenue corner Batangas Street, Sta. Cruz, Manila: 10 inches
- Altura, Sta. Mesa, Manila: 10 inches
- Laong Laan, Simon, Manila: 10 inches
- Lacson, Espana: 15 inches
- Panay Street, Sampaloc, Manila: 20 to 25 inches
- EDSA-Shaw Boulevard underpass: 8 to 12 nnches
- Quirino, Osmena: 12 inches
- Espana corner Maceda, Manila: 20 inches
- Espana corner San Diego, Manila: 20 inches
- Espana corner Antipolo, Manila: 11 inches
- Pureza, Manila: 30 inches
- V. Mapa: 15 to 20 inches
- Quezon Boulevard tunnel (not passable to light vehicles)
- Pasay Road (Paseo to Amorsolo): 20 inches
- Along Gil Puyat Batangas to South Super Highway (14 inches)
- Along Gil Ouyat Medina to Pasong Tamo (12 inches)
- Barangay Magallanes, Chino Roses Extension 12 inches
Roger Nicodemus of MMDA-Flood Control Unit said a road is rendered impassable to light vehicles if floodwaters rise to over 20 inches.
Meanwhile, a road becomes impassable to bigger vehicles when waters rise to over 30 inches.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.