Quantcast
Latest Stories
SAYS MUJIV HATAMAN:

ARMM execs loyal to Constitution, unfazed by Misuari ‘independence’

By ,

ARMM Gov. Mujiv Hataman. INQUIRER.net FILE PHOTO

COTABATO CITY, Philippines — After questioning the declaration of independence of Mindanao by Moro rebel leader Nur Misuari, Regional Governor Mujiv Hataman of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao on Saturday said all of the town mayors and five provincial governors in the region have remained loyal to the Constitution.

Hataman said the 116 mayors in the ARMM provinces of Maguindanao, Lanao del Sur, Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi were not affected by what he described as the unconstitutional act of Misuari, chairman of one of the three factions of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF).

“All the elected officials of the region do not recognize Misuari’s declaration and they remain supportive of the peace process with the Moro Islamic Liberation Front,” Hataman told reporters Saturday.

In the same breath, the regional governor said all Moro leaders were supportive of President Aquino’s efforts to complete the tripartite review of the peace agreement between the Government of the Republic of the Philippines and the Moro National Liberation Front.

“All the leaders are looking forward to a successful completion of the GPH-MILF peace talks,” Hataman said, adding that the police and military authorities in ARMM have been closely watching the movements of the MNLF, especially on the island provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi.

Early this week, Misuari reportedly “declared” in Sulu the independence of Mindanao, Sulu and Palawan with Davao City as its seat of power.

Misuari had been rattling about the signing of the Bangsamoro Framework Agreement, claiming it was a product of conspiracy between Manila, the MILF and Malaysia aimed at downplaying the Sabah issue.

Former Cotabato City Vice Mayor Muslimin Sema, chairman of the biggest MNLF faction, refused to comment on Misuari’s declaration.

But in previous interviews in the face of the signing of the Bangsamoro Framework Agreement, Sema had repeatedly stressed that the MNLF has not turned its back on the 1996 final peace agreement.

The Office of the Presidential Assistant on the Peace Process (OPAPP) said the Aquino government has committed to fulfill the 1996 Final Peace Agreement that the Ramos government entered into with the MNLF in 1996.

In a statement, OPAPP Undersecretary Jose Lorena said the government would not abrogate or abandon the Agreement, as it would continue engaging positively with the Misuari-led MNLF.

“The Aquino administration has always engaged the MNLF since 2010 and will continue to do so under the existing mechanism as we have conveyed to the OIC-PCSP (Organization of Islamic Cooperation – Peace Committee for Southern Philippines),” he said.

Lorena said Misuari and his contingent have always been invited as they were “present in the Tripartite Implementation Review meetings and other related gatherings over the past three years.”

The government, MNLF, and the OIC have been engaging in a tripartite review of the implementation of the final peace agreement since 2007. The review process is being facilitated by the OIC-PSCP, which is chaired by Indonesia.

“As far as the GPH (Government of the Philippines) is concerned, we are not aware of any reason for them to claim that government has abandoned them. Our aim has always been to complete the Tripartite Implementation Review so that we can move forward with concrete actions towards the development of MNLF communities, which we have already started,” he pointed out.

“We encourage Mr. Misuari to be a partner in ensuring the welfare of MNLF communities and actively engage with us in the drafting of the Bangsamoro Basic Law which will include the agenda of the MNLF,” he added.

Peace Secretary Teresita Quintos-Deles earlier clarified that the government’s main objective in pushing for the completion of the tripartite review was to start the implementation process for the consensus points and mechanisms that the parties agreed on.

“We have already informed the OIC through the chair and members of the [Peace Committee for Southern Philippines chaired by Indonesia] that we think it is time to draw a conclusion to the review process,” she said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: ARMM , Government , MNLF , Mujiv Hataman , Nur Misuari , peace process , Peace Talks , rebellion , Regions




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  2. Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  3. Santiago sees Palace hand in Gigi’s return
  4. Gigi Reyes’ only option: tell all
  5. Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after tire burst
  6. ‘Malang’ next crocodile attraction after ‘Lolong’
  7. Ancient enigmatic carvings in danger of disappearing
  8. New plant to boost supply of clean energy
  9. Unease in Vatican over cardinal’s luxury flat—report
  10. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Port Area fire spares Red Cross warehouse
  • PNP may use ‘reasonable force’ against of Etihad Airlines passengers refusing medical test
  • Intrigues mar signing of Bangsamoro draft law
  • Singson apologizes for delay in Edsa road repairs
  • Congressmen seek end to small-town lottery operations
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Business

  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged not to panic amid MERS-CoV scare
  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement