Quantcast
Latest Stories

San Juan blast felt like a bomb, says witness

By

Explosive experts look for evidence through the debris where an blast occurred in the Manila suburb of San Juan on August 17, 2013. Police official said at least seven people were injured in the blast as they continued their investigation on the cause. AFP PHOTO / Jay DIRECTO

MANILA, Philippines – “Boom! It was like a bomb had exploded,” said Benito Tinio Jr., a security guard, who was taken so much by surprise that he instinctively ducked by the motorcycle he had parked in front of the water-refilling station he worked for on Wilson Street in San Juan City.

Aquasafe, which Tinio, 60, had been assigned to watch from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., sits right across the street from a two-story building from where the blast emanated past 1 a.m. Saturday, injuring seven people, including himself.

The explosion was “so strong” the motorcycle he had used as cover fell on its side, and glass panes of some establishments were shattered.

The authorities said several vehicles nearby were damaged, including a green multicab that lost part of its and was pushed backward by the force of the blast.

“The blast was so strong, I thought I was going to die,” Tinio told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

According to initial police reports, four establishments on ground floor of the building, which bore no name, were damaged by the explosion, but Chief Supt. Miguel Laurel, Eastern Police District director, said later there were only three establishments. These were Mañosa noodle house, a laundry shop, and GV Guide Hair Salon.

Senior Superintendent Joselito Daniel, San Juan chief of police, said the walls on the second floor of the building, which houses other offices, suffered cracks.

Apart from Tinio, who sustained minor injuries on the face, arms and legs, three other people who were nearby also suffered “minor injuries,” Laurel said. All four were taken to the San Juan medical Center, Laurel said.

He identified the three others as pizza delivery boys Marlo Urdas, 40, and Reynaldo Namura, 30; and taxi driver Gabriel Padilla, 45.

Padilla had just dropped off a passenger near P. Guevarra Street and was making a U-turn when the explosion occurred.

As of 9 a.m., his taxi could be seen in the middle of the street with shattered glass around it. The vehicle was removed around 11 a.m.

Three other persons who Laurel said were inside some of the damaged establishments were also injured and had to be rushed to Cardinal Santos Medical Center.  They were identified as Allan Cabana Mauriel, 46; Julius Ras, 27; and Jaime Arvin Tacdoro, 22.

Laurel said two of the three were fixing a pipeline, and the other was sleeping in the laundry shop.

Laurel said Tacdoro, who remains “under observation,” had the most severe injuries, which included burns on the face.  The Inquirer learned that Tacdoro was later transferred to the Quirino Hospital.

The authorities were still trying to determine what caused the explosion and where exactly it took place but Laurel told reporters there “were indications” that it was gas-related.

He said members of the explosives and ordnance unit smelled something “masangsang” (acrid) when they scoured the area after the blast, adding no crater was found in the area.

He added, however, that it would still be the police crime lab that would declare whether there were traces of explosives in the area.

“We have to wait for the results of the swabbing by the SOCO (Scene of the Crime Operatives),” he said.

He said the swabbing of items at the blast site was needed to determine whether there was any explosive residue.

A section of Wilson Street that wos closed to motorists after the blast, was opened before noon Saturday.

The blast site was visited by Interior Secretary Manuel “Mar” Roxas around 4 a.m.

Related Stories:

Police looking at gas as cause of explosion in San Juan

7 injured in San Juan City explosion


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Bomb , Explosion , Police , San Juan , San Juan blast , Security




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  5. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  6. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  7. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  10. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  1. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  2. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  3. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  10. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
Advertisement

News

  • Santiago accuses Lacson of fronting for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Name names, Lacson told
  • Ukraine FM: We are ready to fight Russia
  • Slain officer’s ‘diagram’ rocks PNP
  • 2 contractors fined P25,000 for delays in Edsa rehab
  • Sports

  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • NLEX roars to 7th D-League win
  • Lifestyle

  • How Jing Monis Salon gave Krissy the pixie
  • Want to be a supermodel? Work on your inner beauty, says Joey Espino
  • Denims that keep you cool–literally
  • 10 essential summer skin savers
  • Here’s your visual guide to all things cool, hot in summer fashion
  • Entertainment

  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • OMB exec’s assurance: We work 24/7
  • Business

  • Bangko Sentral readies new bank lending rules
  • Gaming stocks gain, PSEi eases on profit-taking
  • Cebu Pacific flew 3.74M passengers as of March
  • Corporate bonds sweeteners
  • Professionals in the family business
  • Technology

  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
  • Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  • US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  • Complex health care system for California’s elderly and poor explained
  • Tiff with HK over Luneta hostage fiasco finally over
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement