PNP starts hearing of 22 cops in Quezon ‘rubout’
MANILA, Philippines— Philippine National Police’s Internal Affairs Service said Thursday the Summary Hearing Board on the Atimonan, Quezon “rubout” last January could probably be concluded within the month.
Police Director Alexander Roldan, IAS chief, said the hearing will start on August 5, and would be conducted twice in a week every 1:30 p.m. at the PNP’s national headquarters in Camp Crame, Quezon City.
The proceedings, however, are not open for media coverage, he said.
Roldan said the process would look into the possible administrative liabilities of 22 police officers, including former Intelligence chief, Police Superintendent Hansel Marantan, and Police Chief Superintendent James Melad, former Calabarzon regional director.
“I have instructed the Summary Hearing Board to give utmost priority to the Atimonan Case…[they] may be able to finish resolving the said case within this month,” Roldan said.
Meanwhile, reacting to earlier reports that the entire process seemed to be moving slow, Roldan said the case had been “very complicated” considering the fact that it has eight defense lawyers for each respondents.
He, however, noted that they have finished the most difficult part of the case and have threshed out the difficult issues.
Based on PNP regulations, all administrative cases must be resolved within 90 days since the start of the investigation.
The Atimonan “rubout,” where 13 people were killed, occurred January this year.
The respondents were also slapped with criminal charges. Involved officers may be dismissed from the service if found guilty.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.