Quantcast
Latest Stories

Makati City approves plan for land use, disaster risk reduction

By

Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay

MANILA, Philippines — A 10-year-plan, which will usher in changes in the skyline of financial capital Makati City, and in its disaster risk reduction, has been given the green light and will take effect in August.

In a statement, Makati Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay announced that the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB) recently granted its certificate of approval to the city government for its 10-year Comprehensive Land Use Plan (CLUP) and its Zoning Ordinance.

The plan that covers 2013-2023 will take effect on August 8, 2013.

Binay said the two land-use measures were drafted in consideration of the efforts to curb the effects of climate change and reduce disaster risks, while at the same time, keep the city’s competitive business environment.

He added that the measures would feature innovative and progressive concepts. Among these are the expansion of the Central Business District, creation of livable environment spaces, and designation of special development areas.

The mayor said the approved land use plan and zoning ordinance were the first of their kind in the country.

“The city government really worked hard on coming up with a CLUP and ZO that take into consideration the hazards and risks in the city, so that property owners can better plan and build structures that will be resilient to particular hazards in the area, ” he added.

On June 28, 2013, the certificate of approval was signed by Vice President Jejomar Binay, the chair of HLURB, former mayor of Makati, and father of the incumbent mayor, on June 28, 2013.

Under the zoning ordinance, a bonus incentive of one additional floor compliant with the mandated floor area ratio shall be given to buildings in commercial zones within 200-meter walking distance from an existing train station.

Binay said bonus incentives shall also be granted “for the development of network of green and open spaces, or iconic spaces and landmarks that would give the city a positive and distinct image.”

The expansion of the Central Business District, on the other hand, shall cover the following: a) both sides of Sen. Gil Puyat Avenue bounded by the South Luzon Expressway, Yakal St., Ayala Avenue Ext., Urban Avenue, Amorsolo St. and Dela Rosa St., b) block bounded by Dela Rosa St., Amorsolo St., Arnaiz Avenue and Chino Roces Avenue, c) block bounded by Makati Avenue, Ayala Avenue, EDSA and Arnaiz Avenue, and d) blocks bounded by Legazpi St., Dela Rosa St., Makati Avenue, Arnaiz Avenue and Paseo de Roxas.

In promoting and mainstreaming disaster resiliency, developments within hazard zones (such as liquefaction and landslide prone areas) will be required to submit an Engineering Geological and Geohazard Assessment Report (EGGAR).

The medium density residential zones, on the other hand, will be allowed to increase their vertical height from 14 meters to 18 meters, provided that the ground floor should be designed as open area (no walls) with no permanent use.

This is to allow residents to adopt to the perennial flooding problems in the city.

Under the new ordinance, the government will also reclaim the three-meter easement on both sides of tributaries and five meters on both sides of the West Valley Fault Zone and turn them into open spaces.

For the designation of special development areas, a Government Center Zone will be delineated to be used primarily for local government activities, with supporting mixed use activities.

The drafts of the two land measures had been opened to the public scrutiny through consultations and dialogues since last year.

The first Comprehensive Land Use Plan and Zoning Ordinance of Makati, which was enforced for a decade, was approved by the City Council in 2000 and was ratified by the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board on August 20, 2001.

In 2006, amendments to the Zoning Ordinance were implemented in order to align the plan with the changing needs of the city.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cities , Housing , Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board , Jejomar Erwin Binay , land use plan , Local authorities , Local Governments , Makati City , Metro , News , urban development , Urban Planning , zoning ordinance




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  7. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Ex-PBA player Bryan Gahol dies in road mishap
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Sandigan junks Marcos family claim to Paoay property
  • Sports

  • Rain or Shine holds off Meralco, forces Game 3
  • Power Pinays yield to Japan in Asian Women’s Club volleyball
  • Caguioa blasts ‘no heart, soft’ Ginebra on Twitter
  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • 19 Ukrainians, Russians, Filipinas rescued in bar raid
  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement