Junjun cans Pasigarbo
The Pasigarbo sa Sugbo or Festival of Festivals, an annual contest participated by Cebu towns and cities to showcase their local fiestas with dances, will not be included in the province’s 444th founding anniversary activities on August.
Other programs under the administration of former governor and now 3rd District Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia such as the One Cebu Expo and Obra Negosyo Eskwela will also not be retained.
Eva Encabo, head of the provincial general services office (PGSO), said the final list of activities were agreed upon during a meeting of Capitol department heads with Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III.
“There is a big difference. No Pasigarbo sa Sugbo and One Cebu Expo. Our expenses will be smaller compared to last year,” she said.
Last year, 31 towns and cities in Cebu province joined the Pasigarbo sa Sugbo.
The One Cebu Expo which usually ran for two weeks at the CICC showcased Cebu’s finest in products, services and culture.
The expo attracts more than 350 exhibitors each year, filling CICC’s upper floor with home décor, furniture and fashion accessories.
The Obra Negosyo Eskwela is a competition that features 20 teams of college and university students, teaming up with local businesses and developing its products with advice from selected mentors.
One week only
Instead of a range of activities that last a month, Encabo said the activities will be trimmed to a one-week celebration from August 1 to 7.
An Agri Fair, she said, will open the celebration on August 1.
In the following days, various activities such as a bloodletting drive and free medical checkup will be held in the Capitol Social Hall.
Encabo said they also sought the support of Technical Education and Skills Development Authority to provide free services such as body massage, haircut and cellphone repair.
There are also events lined up for Capitol employees such as dancing and singing competitions and a raffle draw on August 6.
The Governor’s Night, will be held in the Capitol Social Hall on August 7. All the province’s mayors and Provincial Board members are expected to be in attendance.
“We will be giving 500 plastic bags of rice each containing 5 kilos and goodie bags to employees in a raffle draw,” said Encabo.
The anniversary of the provincehood of Cebu is traced to the appointment by Spain’s King Philip II of Miguel Lopez de Legaspi as governor of Cebu on August 6, 1569.
A 1993 Provincial Board resolution set August 6 every year as the province’s foundation day. Republic Act 8952 declares August 6 a special non-working holiday in Cebu province including the highly urbanized cities of Cebu and Lapu-Lapu. /Peter L. Romanillos, Correspondent
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.