Melindo, Servania leave for Macau battles today

Estrada now in Macau, vows to bring titles back to Mexico

A+
A
A-

Undefeated WBO Intercontinental Flyweight champion Milan “El Metodico” Melindo will depart for Macau, China today along with fellow ALA Gym stalwart and WBO Asia Pacific Bantamweight champion Genesis “Azukal” Servania for their upcoming mega bouts on July 27 at the Cotai Arena of the Venetian Casino and Resort in Macau.

According to ALA Boxing Promotions Vice President Dennis Cañete, Melindo and Servania will be accompanied by their trainer Edito Villamor, assistant trainer Robert Labanza, the team’s nutritionist Abet Biagan and assistant trainer Michael Domingo. ALA Boxing Promotions CEO and President Michael Aldeguer and Cañete will follow them to Macau this Tuesday.

Melindo (29-0, 12KOs) will battle Mexican World Boxing Organization (WBO) and World Boxing Association (WBA) flyweight titleholder Juan Francisco Estrada in the main event of Bob Arum’s Top Rank Promotions card while Servania (21-0, 8 KOs) will go up against Konosuke Tomiyama (23-5-1, 8 KOs) of Japan in a 10-round bout.

Melindo and Servania just wrapped up their rigid training this week under the supervision of Villamor with both boxers saying they have acquired new skills which would greatly help them beat their opponents.

“I believe they are one hundred percent prepared mentally and physically,” Villamor said. “I think we will have light training for the rest of the week before the official weigh-in,” he added.

Estrada won the two world titles in a unification bout against Filipino Brian “Hawaiian Punch” Viloria last April also in Macau where Melindo fought in the undercard beating Indonesian Tommy Seran via fourth round TKO.

Both boxers admitted that they are excited about their respective bouts.

Melindo is excited to fight and beat Estrada to bring the two titles back to the Philippines while Servania is excited as this is his first ever international fight.

Servania defended his regional title against Indonesians Angky Angkotta and Isaac Junior earlier this year.

ESTRADA LEAVES FOR MACAU

Meanwhile, Estrada is already en route to Macau for the first defense of his world titles.

According to a report posted on philboxing.com by Carlos Costa, Estrada (24-2, 18 KOs) appeared in high spirits as he walked towards his flight’s gate at Mexico’s Benito Juárez International Airport.

The 23-year-old world champion from Sonora, Mexico, is accompanied by his experienced team, which plans to fine-tune Estrada’s preparations in Macau.

“I am so motivated to make my first defense. I have done a good training and it will show in the ring. We will bring our two belts back to Mexico. I share my titles with my team and with the people of Mexico who support me,” said Estrada.

Should the Mexican beat Melindo, his promoters plan a blockbuster all-Mexican affair between “El Gallo” Estrada and popular former world champion Hernán “Tyson” Márquez.

Estrada, promoted by Zanfer Boxing and Top Rank, will be seen in action on July 27 on HBO in the United States and TV Azteca 7 in México. /with carlos costa of philboxing.com

According to ALA Boxing Promotions Vice President Dennis Cañete, Melindo and Servania will be accompanied by their trainer Edito Villamor, assistant trainer Robert Labanza, the team’s nutritionist Abet Biagan and assistant trainer Michael Domingo. ALA Boxing Promotions CEO and President Michael Aldeguer and Cañete will follow them to Macau this Tuesday.

Melindo (29-0, 12KOs) will battle Mexican World Boxing Organization (WBO) and World Boxing Association (WBA) flyweight titleholder Juan Francisco Estrada in the main event of Bob Arum’s Top Rank Promotions card while Servania (21-0, 8 KOs) will go up against Konosuke Tomiyama (23-5-1, 8 KOs) of Japan in a 10-round bout.

Melindo and Servania just wrapped up their rigid training this week under the supervision of Villamor with both boxers saying they have acquired new skills which would greatly help them beat their opponents.

“I believe they are one hundred percent prepared mentally and physically,” Villamor said. “I think we will have light training for the rest of the week before the official weigh-in,” he added.

Estrada won the two world titles in a unification bout against Filipino Brian “Hawaiian Punch” Viloria last April also in Macau where Melindo fought in the undercard beating Indonesian Tommy Seran via fourth round TKO.

Both boxers admitted that they are excited about their respective bouts.

Melindo is excited to fight and beat Estrada to bring the two titles back to the Philippines while Servania is excited as this is his first ever international fight.

Servania defended his regional title against Indonesians Angky Angkotta and Isaac Junior earlier this year.

ESTRADA LEAVES FOR MACAU

Meanwhile, Estrada is already en route to Macau for the first defense of his world titles.

According to a report posted on philboxing.com by Carlos Costa, Estrada (24-2, 18 KOs) appeared in high spirits as he walked towards his flight’s gate at Mexico’s Benito Juárez International Airport.

The 23-year-old world champion from Sonora, Mexico, is accompanied by his experienced team, which plans to fine-tune Estrada’s preparations in Macau.

“I am so motivated to make my first defense. I have done a good training and it will show in the ring. We will bring our two belts back to Mexico. I share my titles with my team and with the people of Mexico who support me,” said Estrada.

Should the Mexican beat Melindo, his promoters plan a blockbuster all-Mexican affair between “El Gallo” Estrada and popular former world champion Hernán “Tyson” Márquez.

Estrada, promoted by Zanfer Boxing and Top Rank, will be seen in action on July 27 on HBO in the United States and TV Azteca 7 in México. /with carlos costa of philboxing.com

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.

To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.

Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:

c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94