Quantcast
Napoles
Latest Stories

Napoles daughter’s chance at party-list seat getting dim

By

The daughter of Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brains behind the P10-billion pork barrel scam, could end up losing her nomination in the OFW Family Club (OFWFC), a party-list group locked in controversy involving filling its second seat in the House of Representatives.

OFWFC Rep. Roy Señeres Sr. on Friday offered to drop Jo Christine Napoles as the party’s third nominee in the event that the estranged second nominee, Rep. Johnny Revilla, presented proof that he had renounced his American citizenship.

Another OFWFC member questioned earlier Revilla’s legitimacy in the House of Representatives Electoral Tribunal (HRET), charging that he was still an American citizen.

Attached to the complaint brought by Eduardo Morales were copies of Revilla’s travel information and his US “passport,” described as “ostensible proof that the respondent never relinquished his foreign citizenship.”

“All he has to do is give me a copy of his renunciation and I myself will make a manifestation to the HRET to consider the matter closed and finally declare him qualified to sit as representative of the OFWFC,” Señeres told the INQUIRER.

“And then, I will ask my children—Roy Jr., Hannah and Hazel—that the nomination of their common friend Christine Napoles will have to be recalled,” Señeres said.

Roy Señeres Jr. was the group’s original third nominee based on the certificates of candidacy (COCs) filed in the Commission on Elections (Comelec). But the group opted to remove him following the controversy over Revilla’s citizenship. The party won two seats in the House in the May 13 elections.

Father-son team?

The elder Señeres said the OFWFC did not want to make it appear that Revilla was being removed unjustly to pave the way for a father-and-son team for the group in the 16th Congress.

“Far from it,” he said. “I have no personal animosity with Johnny. I can work harmoniously with him. It’s just that there is a problem with his citizenship and I, as a lawyer, cannot just turn a blind eye on the issue.”

Revilla earlier insisted that he had renounced his US citizenship before he filed his COC but did not elaborate.

 

Dribbling the case

Señeres said he had been asking Revilla for his renunciation documents since learning about the citizenship controversy in the thick of the campaign.

He said he reminded Revilla about it in a June 10 letter, but Revilla “did not even bother to reply.”

If it is true that Revilla is no longer a US citizen, Señeres said, “I cannot surmise why Johnny is keeping the document of his renunciation from me.”

“I don’t believe that he has renounced it,” he said. “It is obvious he wants to dribble the case before it is decided by the HRET. In the meantime, he sits as congressman.”


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: American citizenship , Congress , House of Representatives , Janet Lim Napoles , Jo Christine Napoles , OFW Family Club , OFWC , Rep. Johnny Revilla , Rep. Roy Señeres Sr. on




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Celebrating Easter and creativity in New York
  • Man wins half marathon, dies in Argentina
  • Clouds to bring slight relief from summer heat
  • Canadians rally to legalize marijuana
  • S. Korea ferry transcript reveals evacuation panic
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement