Whistle-blower Benhur Luy now provisionally part of WPP, says De Lima
More News from INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines—Benhur Luy, who spilled the beans on the P10-billion pork barrel scam, is already under provisional coverage of the government’s witness protection program (WPP), Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said in a text message late Thursday.
Earlier Thursday De Lima said the whistle-blower had agreed to be included in the WPP.
The Department of Justice chief also confirmed that Luy personally met with WPP officers on Thursday.
A witness provisionally accepted will stay under WPP for several months, during which WPP officers will determine if the witness is entitled to a full coverage under the program.
Luy’s counsel, Levito Baligod, had earlier told reporters his client would appear before the DOJ WPP on Friday for purposes of his application for coverage.
However, WPP insiders said the meeting was rescheduled and was intentionally kept out of the media’s knowledge.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94