Quantcast
Latest Stories

Lacson bares P3.5M ‘commission’ offer

By

Former Sen. Panfilo Lacson said a “representative” of the Department of Agriculture once offered him a P3.5-million “commission” if he signed a prepared letter authorizing the agency to use his name in using P5 million from its own budget.

Lacson would not state categorically whether the amount was part of the so-called congressional insertions in the budgets of various departments, a source of kickbacks for lawmakers.

Lacson, who was then a junior senator, said the offer took place just before the P728-million fertilizer fund scandal rocked the agriculture department after the 2004 presidential election.

He said he did not talk personally to the representative who appeared hesitant to approach him when the person came to his office in 2003.

During his two terms in the Senate, Lacson was known for not using his P200-million Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), a pork barrel, allotted yearly to each senator.

Members of the House of Representatives, on the other hand, are each entitled to P70 million in PDAF every year.

A pork barrel is a fund set aside in the annual general appropriations act for the pet projects of legislators. It is a source of kickbacks for lawmakers.

By contrast, congressional insertions are funds of a specific department that are already integrated in its annual budget. Senators and members of the House are allowed by law to use the insertions and PDAF for projects they identify.

Lacson said there had been cases when lawmakers held meetings on the side during budget deliberations in either the Senate or the House where they haggle with department representatives over the amount of insertions they would be authorized to identify for a specific fiscal year.

Still more bribes

Lacson said the P1.5-million balance that would remain once he was supposed to get his P3.5 million in kickbacks from the agriculture department was meant for “clearing” operations that involved still more bribes, this time to individuals in the Commission on Audit (COA) and the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).

The senator said he later learned from his staff that copies of the pro forma authorization letter that the representative carried had already been signed by “at least” four of his colleagues at the time.

Lacson said some of his colleagues had left the Senate while others were still incumbents.

Some of those who signed the pro forma letter received up to P10 million each in kickbacks, he said.

Lacson used the words “senador … at senadora” in describing during a radio interview Sunday the other lawmakers who received kickbacks.

He said he took the copy of the pro forma letter given to his office and brandished it during a privilege speech he delivered soon after the bribe offer of P3.5 million was made.

Some senators who interpellated him, he said, took the cudgels for the agriculture department, saying the agency would not make such an offer.

Lacson stuck to his guns during the radio interview. He said the P1.5-million balance to be taken from the agriculture department’s budget would still be divided further.

“The way it was explained, the P1.5 million was really needed for clearing because other individuals needed to be paid. At that time, even the COA was part of the syndicate. Two percent goes to COA to facilitate the process, and the DBM also needs to be fixed to release the funds,” he said in Filipino.

He said it was a big syndicate in the government and the ultimate victim was the taxpayer.

“I know that at least four senators at the time received kickbacks. Some received P10 million and others P5 million,” he told dzBB radio anchor Nimfa Ravelo.

He said it was clearly a ghost project.

JLN group

Lacson said he could not recall encountering the name of Janet Lim Napoles, touted as the head of JLN Group of Companies that allegedly converted billions of pesos of pork barrel into kickbacks.

Earlier reports said the JLN group was able to convince legislators to part with their PDAF for projects supervised by nongovernment organizations connected with it.

Reports also said the JLN group used part of the Malampaya funds (revenue from the gas fields off Palawan) and the fertilizer funds supposedly distributed by the Department of Agriculture.

Lacson said that when the Senate was investigating the fertilizer scam, he and other senators were too focused on then Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn “Jocjoc” Bolante who was accused of following orders of then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to use the allocation for her 2004 presidential campaign.

Give up pork

At one point, Lacson reiterated his position that all legislators should do away with their PDAF and other forms of pork barrel to liberate themselves from the perception that all lawmakers were pocketing their pork barrel.

“A legislator has a choice between self-respect and aggrandizement. Why don’t you just preserve your self-respect so people won’t even think that you enjoy commissions?” he said.

Lacson urged the National Bureau of Investigation and the Department of Justice to continue their probe of reports that the JLN group had gypped the government of about P10 billion in various forms of pork barrel through the use of NGOs.

“As far as I know, only government agencies are allowed to receive pork barrel. An NGO is a private entity,” he said.

“Maybe an NGO can supervise but the implementing agency in the case of pork barrel should still be the office of the mayor or governor of the area where the pork barrel is being used,” Lacson said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Panfilo Lacson , Philippines , Pork barrel , Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) , Scam , Senate




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  2. Obama, family cause a small stir at Easter service
  3. Santiago sees Palace hand in Gigi’s return
  4. Gigi Reyes’ only option: tell all
  5. Malaysia Airlines jet turns back after tire burst
  6. ‘Malang’ next crocodile attraction after ‘Lolong’
  7. Ancient enigmatic carvings in danger of disappearing
  8. New plant to boost supply of clean energy
  9. Unease in Vatican over cardinal’s luxury flat—report
  10. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • Intrigues mar signing of Bangsamoro draft law
  • Singson apologizes for delay in Edsa road repairs
  • Congressmen seek end to small-town lottery operations
  • 16-year-old survives in wheel well of US flight
  • MMDA to blame for delay of Edsa reblocking – DPWH exec
  • Sports

  • Reigning champs Miami open playoffs with win
  • Spurs subdue Mavericks in playoff opener
  • Wawrinka beats Federer to win Monte Carlo Masters
  • Ageless Hopkins pitches 50-50 Mayweather deal
  • Goodbye MGM, Las Vegas for Pacquiao?
  • Lifestyle

  • Miss America: Don’t suspend teen over prom invite
  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Entertainment

  • Lindsay Lohan says she had a miscarriage
  • Discovery network cancels Everest jump
  • ‘Captain America’ stays strong atop US box office
  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Business

  • Oil prices down in quiet Asian trade
  • Asian shares mixed in holiday-thinned trade
  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Technology

  • PH has slowest internet in Southeast Asia
  • Nintendo’s trailblazing Game Boy marks 25th anniversary
  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos in Middle East urged not to panic amid MERS-CoV scare
  • Obama on mission to quiet Asia skeptics
  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement