NCRPO chief orders probe on Metro bomb scare incidentsBy Jamie Elona |INQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines—Director Leonardo Espina, National Capital Region Police Office chief, has ordered a thorough investigation on the recent incidents of bomb scare in Metro Manila as he activated a crackdown on the suspects, a Philippine National Police official said Thursday.
Senior Superintendent Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP-PIO chief, said that despite the recent incidents—all of which turned out to be plain hoaxes—the PNP hasn’t declared an observation of a trend nor has it monitored a particular organized group behind the alarms.
Earlier this month several bomb threats—at the Ospital ng Makati in Makati City, Net One building in Fort Bonifacio Global City, Taguig, Nangka Elementary School in Marikina, and at two branches of IBM Philippines in Quezon City—have been reported, and turned out negative to any explosive device.
Earlier Thursday, a bomb scare transpired after a backpack was left unattended at the 8th floor of 1800 building at East Avenue, Eastwood, Quezon City.
A bomb sniffing dog checked the bag, and signalled that there was a bomb inside, only to find out that the bag contained only personal items of its owner, Anthony Serenio, an IBM Eastwood employee.
Espina earlier quoted Serenio as saying that he only left his bag for a while to go to the comfort room.
“We are giving this matter the attention it deserves kasi may mga nanggugulo. Mamaya may totoo,” Sindac said, adding that PNP is taking every bomb threat seriously.