Quantcast
Latest Stories

2 Cebu Pacific pilots in mishap suspended

CAAP: They broke flight and safety regulations

By , Miguel R. Camus

The Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) ordered Tuesday the suspension of two pilots of the Cebu Pacific plane that overshot the runway of Davao International Airport on June 2, saying they violated regulations and failed to evacuate its 165 passengers within the required 90 seconds.

Management’s liability was not immediately spelled out, but the CAAP asked the budget carrier to reassess practices that had allegedly compromised safety.

Speaking at a press conference, CAAP deputy director general John Andrews said Capt. Antonio Roehl Oropesa and First Officer Edwin Perello, the pilot and copilot of Airbus A320-200, had been ordered suspended for six months and three months, respectively.

After the lapse of the suspension and the requirements for the reinstatement of his Airline Transport Pilot License had been complied with, Oropesa can only act as second in command in flights for one year, Andrews said.

Cebu Air Inc., operator of the budget carrier, said it would comply with the CAAP recommendations and was pursuing additional safety initiatives. “Safety has always been the highest priority for Cebu Pacific,” it said in a statement. “We aim to provide the safest airline service possible for the millions of passengers who travel with us every year.”

Andrews said information obtained by the CAAP from the data flight recorder of the Airbus, which was examined in Singapore, confirmed his earlier statement that the initial evidence pointed to human error as the cause of the accident.

Evacuation 25 minutes late

No passenger in the Cebu Pacific flight 5J-971 was injured when the aircraft rolled out of the runway in stormy weather and landed a meter away from the edge of the grassy surface, paralyzing airport operations for two days.

Andrews said when the pilots encountered “zero visibility upon landing” they should have done “balked landing” by maneuvering the aircraft back in the air to avoid the runway accident.

“This kind of aircraft is capable of balked landing and taking off again. The aircraft can be controlled easier when up in the air,” he explained.

Andrews said after the plane came to a full stop, all the cabin attendants positioned themselves at the exits and waited for the pilots’ directive to get the passengers out. “But the command never came … The pilots did not declare an emergency nor order an emergency evacuation,” he said, noting that the cabin attendants were not to blame for the incident.

He said that according to aviation protocols, the emergency exits should have been ordered opened and the passengers evacuated within 90 seconds. “The airline crew started evacuating passengers 20 minutes later,” he said.

The regulations that the pilots allegedly violated included those relating to “operations below decision height or minimum descent altitude, emergency evacuation demonstration and cockpit checklist procedure.”

Corrective actions

Andrews said the investigators during the three-week inquiry talked with CAAP personnel, firemen, cabin crew and the pilots. They also reviewed the transcripts of the control tower and approach control, as well as those found in the cockpit voice recorder, and performed visual inspections of both the runway and the aircraft, he said.

He said the CAAP had given Cebu Pacific a set of “corrective action plans,” which included reassessing its practices that compromise safety.

He said CAAP personnel would randomly check Cebu Pacific’s flight crew capabilities in unusual situations through flight simulations for one month to determine if the recent accident was an isolated case.

The CAAP will also hold special training for Cebu Pacific’s crew in initiating go-around or balked landing, Andrews said. “Balked landing has never been part of (Cebu Pacific’s) training and simulation,” he said. “In order to save costs, the levels of fuel of Cebu Pacific air buses were not enough to do a go-around.”

Safety initiatives

Asked if the CAAP was recommending a suit for damages, Andrews said: “We have not yet seen the need to do so.”

In its statement, Cebu Air said it was pursuing additional safety initiatives beyond CAAP’s recommendations:

– Enhancement of training curriculum to include additional focus on wet runway landings, “go-arounds” and inclement weather and nonprecision approaches.

– Implementation of the enhanced curriculum by Airbus trainers at the Philippine Academy for Aviation Training (PAAT), the only facility in the country that belongs to the CAE-Airbus Training cooperation, and with two state-of-the-art full-flight simulators. Inaugurated in Clark in December 2012, PAAT is a joint venture with Canada-based CAE. CAE operates the world’s largest airline training network.

– An independent review of flight operation systems and processes by Airbus Industries. Airbus will deploy a team of safety, flight operations and human factor experts to Manila for this review.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Air Transport , Airline , Cebu Pacific , Philippines , pilots suspended , plance accident , Safety




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. US teacher fired over comment on black president
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. Filipinos, Dane re-enact crucifixion of Christ
  4. Magnitude-7.5 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
  5. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Massive infra spending set
  8. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  9. Easter crucifixions draw huge crowds
  10. Korea ferry captain arrested, divers spot bodies
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  5. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  6. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  7. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  8. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  9. Massive infra spending set
  10. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  5. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  6. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  7. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • 2 killed in apparent Bahrain car bombing
  • SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  • At barricades, Ukraine insurgents await Easter
  • Solons seek ample protection for bank depositors
  • Tragedies at sea: The Sewol and the Costa Concordia
  • Sports

  • Tottenham beats Fulham 3-1 in Premier League
  • Martino defends Messi, takes blame for Barca fail
  • Vettel hoping for resurgence at Chinese GP
  • MLB pitcher donates $100,000 for Sewol ferry victims
  • Hamilton takes pole at Chinese Grand Prix
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • Myx TV premieres Asian American ‘docu-series’
  • A nutty finale for ‘Scandal,’ TV’s craziest show
  • EXO postpones release of mini album ‘Overdose’
  • ‘X-men’ filmmaker slams ‘fabricated’ sex attack claims
  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Business

  • Fiat-Chrysler to produce iconic Jeep in China from 2015
  • US commerce secretary spells out economic facet of ‘pivot to Asia’
  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Asian shares mostly up in quiet trade
  • Dollar up in Asia on US jobs data, Ukraine deal
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Cesar Chavez movie sparks memories of Fil-Am labor leaders
  • Filipinos in US poised for success
  • Visas for priests and other faith leaders
  • DOH to continue tracking co-passengers of OFW infected with MERS virus
  • 5 Filipinos with MERS in UAE reported in stable condition
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement