Fight vs human trafficking goes to the movies
MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has intensified its campaign against human trafficking with the premiere airing of the infomercial “Iligtas Mo Ako” last Friday during a special screening of the movie “Man of Steel” at Trinoma mall in Quezon City.
Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman said the cinema plug, to be shown for six months in movie theaters nationwide, spotlights two types of human trafficking—sexual and labor. It shows moviegoers the dire effects of human trafficking and asks for help in ending the problem.
Soliman said human trafficking was a rampant problem in the countryside, with roots in poverty and human greed.
“The deception, illegal transfer and abuse of Filipinos simply looking for better opportunities in the city and abroad are realities we cannot ignore. We have to find more ways to combat and prevent human trafficking,” she said.
The plug aims to bring home the message that human trafficking is a nationwide problem and Filipinos must act by relaying information on human trafficking through DSWD hotline (02) 9319141 or Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (Iacat) Action Line 1343.
“All Filipinos can be a victim of this societal problem, thus, the general public must be vigilant and united in the fight against human trafficking,” said Soliman.
The DSWD has partnered with the Iacat in the campaign against human trafficking.
Led by officials of the Department of Justice, around 300 Iacat members from national government agencies, nongovernment organizations, media and civil society attended the Trinoma screening. Antihuman trafficking advocates from local government units in Metro Manila also attended the special screening of the plug.
DSWD data from last year showed there were 1,376 individual victims of various kinds of trafficking nationwide. The victims were provided with adequate recovery and reintegration services under the DSWD’s Recovery and Reintegration Programs for Trafficked Persons.
Iacat, in a report, said 1,519 human trafficking cases were filed in 2011 with 100 convictions rendered in 2012. The latest major conviction was handed down in March by Manila Judge Roberto Quiroz who sentenced Sonny Francisco to life in prison for qualified trafficking.—Cynthia D. Balana
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.