Artist Mideo Cruz a no-show at Senate probe into controversial exhibitBy Maila Ager
MANILA, Philippines – Mideo Cruz, one of the artists behind the controversial “Kulo” exhibit, was a no-show when the Senate began its inquiry into the matter on Tuesday.
Senate Pro Tempore Jose “Jinggoy” Estrada immediately moved that Cruz be subpoenaed in the next hearing when the Senate education, arts and culture joint with public information and mass media started its proceedings at about 10:00 a.m.
It was Estrada, who initiated the investigation after he delivered a privilege speech last week, calling for the resignation of all Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) officials, who approved the exhibit, showing defaced religious figures.
The committee secretary said an invitation was sent to Cruz last August 10 and the committee received an acknowledgment receipt through email from the artist.
But Cruz, the committee secretary said, did not confirm his attendance and made no reply when the committee attempted to contact him again.
At that point, Estrada moved to subpoena Cruz.
But Senator Edgardo Angara, chairman of the education committee, gave Cruz until 12:00 noon to show up in the hearing before issuing a subpoena against him.
CCP and Catholics Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) officials attended the hearing.