Quantcast
Latest Stories

9 nabbed for carrying firearms on last day of election gun ban

By

INQUIRER file photo

MANILA, Philippines – They just can’t wait.

Nine more gun owners were arrested on Wednesday (June 12), the last day of the 150-day gun ban imposed by the Commission on Elections (Comelec) as part of the security plan for the May 13 elections, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said on Thursday.

PNP Director General Alan Purisima said police units across the archipelago arrested a total of 3,704 individuals for carrying guns outside their residence without the necessary permit from the Comelec during the gun ban period.

Among them were 23 soldiers, 52 policemen, 42 other government officials and 154 security guards.

Purisima said the creation of the PNP Task Force SAFE (Secure and Fair Elections) in November 2012 was instrumental in enforcing the election laws and harmonizing various anti-crime police operations during the election period.

“The achievement of the PNP is the success of our people,” Purisima said in an emailed statement.

“Again, I commend all our PNP personnel who performed very well before, during and after the election period as well as to our fellow public servants in the Armed Forces, Comelec, other government and non-government agencies and, most especially, to the community,” he said.

He reminded police personnel that the “best deterrent to the commission of crime is the certainty of prosecution of these arrested gun ban offenders.”

So far, Purisima said the PNP has filed a total of 2,441 criminal cases against arrested gun ban violators for violation of the Omnibus Election Code and the Marcos-era Presidential Decree 1866.

However, only 207 of these cases have been forwarded to the courts for prosecution.

With the lifting of the gun ban, the PNP chief ordered police units to continue the PNP’s intensified campaign against loose firearms “because of its proven effectiveness in preempting illegal activities and in taking away instruments of crime and violence.”

Chief Superintendent Generoso Cerbo Jr., PNP spokesperson, reiterated that only gun owners who have secured “permits to carry firearms outside the residence” from the PNP are allowed to bring their firearms out of their homes.

During the gun ban period, Purisima said a total of 3,596 firearms and over 30,000 rounds of ammunition were seized in checkpoints and other police operations.

He said the police also confiscated 163 gun replicas, 1,082 bladed weapons and 758 explosive devices.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: 2013 midterm elections , Commission on Elections , election gun ban , election period , Elections , Firearms , News , Philippine National Police , Security




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Gigi Reyes back to face charges
  2. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  3. In the know: Gigi Reyes
  4. SC suspends proctor in 2011 bar exams
  5. Senator Pimentel backs German think tank’s stand vs dynasties
  6. Bar proctor suspended for photographing test papers
  7. Collector Danny Garcia says Inquirer worth more than news
  8. Meteor shower to light up PH skies
  9. What Went Before: Enrile denies Gigi Reyes was ‘other woman’
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  5. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  6. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  7. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  8. Massive infra spending set
  9. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  10. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  9. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  10. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
Advertisement

News

  • $57-B mega plan to solve Metro’s mega woes
  • Aquino vows to step up fight against corruption
  • Santiago scoffs at rushing defense pact for Obama visit
  • Former solon, 2 others sanctioned for unfair labor practice
  • Let us pray for the nation, healing priest asks leaders
  • Sports

  • PH pug Hipolito Banal decisions Colombian in Aiba
  • Former Pacquiao sparmate Porter keeps IBF title
  • Grueling 2014 Le Tour de Filipinas hits road
  • ICTSI Tour big hitters have edge at Sherwood
  • What Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather could do
  • Lifestyle

  • Transitions and resurrection in the performing arts
  • ‘Archaeology tour’ of Cebu’s heritage of faith
  • Historic Fort Bonifacio tunnel converted into a septic tank
  • ‘Imports’ from London, and play of the year
  • Korean animation comes of age
  • Entertainment

  • Easter musings
  • Solenn in shorts
  • Unmerry mix of attention-calling moves on ‘Mini-Me’ TV tilts
  • Persistence pays off for The 1975
  • Special section in LA fest for Filipino films
  • Business

  • BDO seen keen on bidding for Cocobank
  • Bataan freeport investment pledges up 1,302%
  • Golden Week
  • Bourse to woo Cebu stock mart investors
  • Supper power
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Gigi’s home
  • Palace stonewalls on MRT inquiry
  • Couple of things too
  • There is plenty of water behind Wawa Dam
  • Triduum thoughts of a young boy
  • Global Nation

  • Search for Etihad passengers launched
  • Japan presents $57-B ‘dream plan’ to solve Metro congestion
  • Tim Tebow’s charity hospital in Davao seen to open in 7 months
  • OFW died of Mers-CoV in Saudi Arabia, says family
  • Aquino, Obama to tackle US pivot to Asia during state visit
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement