6 houses, 2 classrooms damaged in Mandaue fire
CEBU CITY, Philippines–Six houses were destroyed and two classrooms were damaged when fire hit an area in Mandaue City early Thursday morning.
Two classrooms were affected when the fire spread to nearby Umapad Elementary School, prompting school authorities to implement three shifts of classes for Grade 6 pupils, according to Roger Paller, information officer of the Mandaue City government.
Paller said one classroom was badly damaged and would need major repair while the other was water-damaged.
He said the city government plans to send tents for the affected students while the damaged classrooms undergo repair.
Senior Fire Officer 1 Cipriano Codilla, Mandaue City fire investigator, said the fire broke out at 4:15 a.m. Thursday and authorities declared a third alarm before it was put under control at 4:28 a.m.
Codilla said the fire started at a house, owned by Pepita Calzada, along UN Avenue then spread to five nearby houses.
He said Calzada, 55, was at Carbon Market when the fire started in her room.
Based on Calzada’s account, the fire might have been caused by a ceiling fan that had overheated.
Calzada’s live-in partner, Jovencio Semblante, suffered minor burns on his back while trying to get out of the house.
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94