Quantcast

Marikina City fire traced to second-hand ref

By |


MANILA—Fernando Garcia of Marikina City thought he got a bargain when he recently bought a second-hand refrigerator.

But instead of cooling things down, the Japan-made refrigerator apparently started a fire that cost Garcia his entire house on Russet Street, SSS Village in Barangay Concepcion II early Saturday.

Garcia, 65, told authorities that when he woke up that morning, he saw smoke coming out of the appliance which he recently purchased from a surplus shop.

He panicked and rushed out as smoke turned to flames that quickly spread inside his bungalow.

Senior Fire Officer 2 Noel Alarcon, arson investigator, said an electrical overload may have started the fire, noting that the refrigerator was a 110-volt unit plugged into a 220-volt system.

Thanks to a protective wall, the 6:40 a.m. fire was limited to Garcia’s house and declared out by firefighters about 30 minutes later.


Follow Us


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Fire , Japan Surplus Shop , Marikina City , Second-Hand Refrigerator




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement
Marketplace
Advertisement