Quantcast
Latest Stories

Face the music, Mancao told

By ,

Cezar Mancao

MANILA, Philippines—Justice Secretary Leila de Lima on Tuesday scoffed at the idea of fugitive Cezar Mancao II doing a Ping Lacson.

“The best defense is truth. What will happen to our justice system if everyone who finds himself in conflict with the law would do a Lacson?” De Lima said in a text message to reporters.

De Lima said it would be best for Mancao to face his case in court than go into hiding.

“As an accused, he must face the charges and prove his innocence or put forth extenuating, justifying or exempting circumstance, as the case may be, as would convince the court to absolve or acquit him,” she said.

“That he cannot do as a fugitive,” she said.

The justice secretary was reacting to a report that Mancao planned to surface only after he is cleared by a court of liability in the Dacer-Corbito murders, just like his former boss, Sen. Panfilo Lacson.

Lacson disappeared in 2010 shortly after a court ordered his arrest for alleged involvement in the murder of publicist Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and his driver, Emmanuel Corbito. After hiding out for a year, Lacson surfaced in March 2011 following a Court of Appeals decision clearing him of the double murder.

Mancao, who was placed on the government’s witness protection program (WPP), in exchange for testifying against his former colleagues in the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force who were, like him, accused of carrying out the double murder. He eventually implicated Lacson himself, the POCTF head at the time of the murders.

However, the Manila regional trial court judge Icasiano Sison, who is handling the Dacer-Corbito case, dismissed Mancao as a witness and ordered him transferred to the Manila City Jail. This prompted Mancao to escape from National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) custody last week, claiming that his life would be endangered at the city jail.

Dropped from WPP

On Monday, De Lima said she had no choice but to drop Mancao from the WPP after he escaped and came out with allegations that the program was riddled with corruption.

On Tuesday, Mancao told a television interview he would only surface when the courts clear him of any involvement in the December 2000 murders. He said he planned to appeal the court decision ordering his transfer to the city jail.

In a telephone interview, Mancao said he would file grave abuse of discretion charges against Sison who acquitted Michael Ray Aquino as one of the accused in the Dacer-Corbito case.

“The judge dismissed (Aquino), but at the same time ordered my transfer to the Manila City Jail,” he said.

Mancao expressed disappointment at the government for not lifting a finger to help him when Sison discharged him as a witness.

“They did not file an appeal on my behalf [as] a government witness,” he said.

On Tuesday, anticrime advocates expressed support for Mancao and called on President Aquino to review the WPP.

“We believe Mancao’s escape is simply symptomatic of how the administration’s witness protection program has become ineffective and weak, that it can no longer be trusted to guarantee the safety of witnesses,” said Arsenio Evangelista of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption (VACC) at a prayer rally at the Mendiola Bridge on Tuesday.

Victim of injustice

Running priest Father Robert Reyes said the rally was in support of Mancao who was a victim of injustice.

Evangelista questioned the capability of the WPP to secure its witnesses.

“The witnesses from the WPP were either killed or escaped right under their noses,” he said, citing the death of Alfred Mendiola, among other witnesses, while under the WPP.

Mendiola was the main witness to the brutal slaying of his son, Venson, allegedly on orders of the Dominguez car robbery gang.

Mancao said the VACC’s expression of support was unexpected. “I did not expect their support, but I’m glad that the public has realized the predicament I am in,” he said.

Mancao said he was glad to be out of the WPP as he felt he had been “used and abused” by government and the prosecution panel.

He said he was receiving an P8,000 monthly allowance while under the program, from which deductions were made.

“I could not do anything to support my family. I lost so much, so many opportunities. So it was better for me to get out,” he said.

No NBI help

He admitted to having been aided in his escape, but not by any NBI official or guard.

Mancao denied that he was paid by Jose Miguel Arroyo, the husband of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, to pin down Lacson for the double murder.

“It’s not true that I was paid. In fact when I ran for congressman in the last election I was with the ticket of President Aquino,” he said.

Another proof that he was not paid was when he dropped the services of lawyer Ferdie Topacio when the latter became the lawyer of Arroyo.

“I had to drop the services of Topacio to avoid people putting malice in my intentions,” he said.—With Tessa Distor


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cezar Mancao II , Crime , dacer-corbito murder case , Fugitive , law and justice , Leila de Lima




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • The best flavors of summer in one bite, and more
  • Homemade yogurt, bread blended with pizza, even ramen
  • Visiting chefs from Denmark get creative with ‘ube,’ ‘ buko,’ ‘calamansi,’ mangoes
  • Salted baked potatoes
  • A first in a mall: Authentic Greek yogurt–made fresh in front of diners
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • This time, BIR goes after florists
  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement