Quantcast
Latest Stories

Comelec to finally get source code but review to come later–Brillantes

By ,

MANILA, Philippines—The Commission on Elections on Monday announced that the source code for the precinct count optical scan (PCOS) machines to be used in the May 13 elections will finally be released to the Comelec this week.

The source code is the readable computer program that runs the PCOS machines.

“Dominion is coming in at any time. We are just waiting. They have already agreed that they will open the source code,” said Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes, referring to the original vendor of the automated machines.

He said, however, that political parties and other interested groups would have to wait until after the elections for the results of the review of the source code.

“We are opening it for review to all people interested but this will have to be after the elections. It cannot be completed at this time since it is not easy to review the source code,” said Brillantes.

He said an agreement reached between Dominion Voting Systems Inc. and Smartmatic, the company that sold the machines to the Comelec, paved the way for the release of the source code.

Dominion, which owns the technology, had delayed releasing the source code amid a legal dispute with Smartmatic.

“Last Friday, Smartmatic and Dominion signed an agreement in America to allow the 2013 source code to be brought to the Philippines,” Brillantes said. “I also signed my conformé to their agreement and after that we called Systest Labs Inc. (SLI) for them to come here.”

SLI is the company that independently certified the source code.

Brillantes refused to confirm if the actual source code was already in the hands of the Comelec.

“I will not answer that at this time,” he said. “We are not making any conclusions yet until Dominion comes in. Smartmatic is also coming in. So everyone is here, all key players are here.”

Representatives from both Smartmatic and Dominion will be in the country by Wednesday at the latest, Brillantes added.

He said the review of the source code should put to rest any doubts about the coming elections.

“All those who say that there is no source code should now keep their peace,” he said. “Let’s stop all the accusations and help each other.”

The Supreme Court, meanwhile, will hold oral arguments Wednesday on senatorial candidate Richard Gordon’s petition to allow political parties to examine the source code.

In ordering the oral arguments at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, the high court will be holding a special session, breaking a monthlong recess that was to last until next month.

In a two-page notice released Monday by Clerk of Court Enriqueta Vidal, the Supreme Court ordered the Comelec through the Solicitor General to comment not later than noon of May 8 on the petition filed last week by Gordon and the Bagumbayan-Volunteers for a New Philippines Movement.

The high tribunal said it was “necessary and proper” for the Comelec to comment on the petition and for it to hold oral arguments “considering the allegations contained, the issues raised and the arguments” stated therein.

Last week, Gordon and the group asked the Supreme Court to compel the Comelec to fulfill its duty and obtain the required source code and make it available for review.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Commission on Elections , Elections , Philippines , Sixto Brillantes , Source Code




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  • Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • Napoles surgery in Makati hospital successful
  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces; Painters repulse Bolts
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • PH seeks ‘clearer assurance’ from US
  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement