Quantcast
Latest Stories

Dumlao joins word war, defends ex-boss Lacson

By

SAN PEDRO, Laguna—Remember police Supt. Glenn Dumlao? He is the police regional official who authorized “Coplan Armado,” the operation that left 13 people dead in Atimonan town, Quezon province, in January. He is still in the service and he thinks fugitive former police Senior Supt. Cezar Mancao II has nothing to fear from Sen. Panfilo Lacson.

Mancao, a suspect in the 2000 murders of public relations agent Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and his driver, Emmanuel Corbito, escaped from his cell at the National Bureau of Investigation headquarters in Manila early Thursday to avoid being killed after his court-ordered transfer to the Manila City Jail, in a plan that he said was brainstormed by Lacson.

Both Dumlao and Mancao served in the Presidential Anti-Organized Crime Task Force (PAOCTF) that Lacson headed as chief of the Philippine National Police in the administration of former President Joseph Estrada.

Mancao claimed Lacson ordered Dacer bumped off because the PR agent was a fierce critic of Estrada, a charge that sent Lacson running to unknown parts in 2010, returning a year later after the Court of Appeals had cleared him.

Out of character

Lacson has reason to be angry with Mancao, but Dumlao, who was arrested in 2001 in connection with the Dacer-Corbito murders but later cleared, said ordering Mancao butchered in jail was out of Lacson’s character.

“There’s no such plan,” Dumlao said in a phone interview with the Inquirer on Saturday night.

Mancao, he said, is “just hallucinating.”

Dumlao stood by Lacson in the Dacer-Corbito case, clearing his former boss at the PAOCTF and implicating instead Mancao and another police officer, Michael Ray Aquino.

Dumlao was formerly Aquino’s deputy in the PAOCTF.

No evidence was found against Aquino, and he was discharged from the case in December last year, leaving Mancao, who had offered to serve as state witness, to join in the city jail 21 other former PAOCTF officers, four of whom had sought his transfer there. They are mad at him for ratting on the boss.

Moved on

Dumlao remembered that he went through “legal hassles” for linking Mancao and Aquino to the Dacer-Corbito murders.

“But that’s all there is to it,” Dumlao said, indicating that he has forgiven and forgotten and moved on.

But Mancao should not have said that nasty thing about Lacson plotting to silence him in jail, Dumlao said.

“I wonder how he could sleep at night with all the things he said (against Lacson),” he said.

But despite Mancao’s turning against Lacson, Dumlao said that he “feels” for his former colleague, who told journalists that he would not surrender unless the court corrects the “injustice” done to him.

The Manila court hearing the Dacer-Corbito case had rejected Mancao’s offer to serve as state witness and, granting a petition by four suspects, all former PAOCTF agents, ordered his transfer to the Manila City Jail.

Dumlao said escaping was a “normal course of action” for Mancao, whom he described as a “well-trained” police officer. He said he believed Mancao’s escape was a well-calculated move.

Cut the hypocrisy

According to Dumlao, Mancao was well-liked in the police service and his former colleagues had two options if they encountered him today.

“You either arrest him or keep [hide] him,” Dumlao said. “Let’s cut the hypocrisy. The saying, ‘I’m my brother’s keeper’ still holds true.”

Asked if he would arrest Mancao if he met him, Dumlao said, “Yes, because he is a fugitive.”

Dumlao was sacked as commander of the Regional Public Safety Battalion of the Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon) police after the Atimonan killings. But unlike the regional police chief and several policemen and soldiers, he wasn’t charged. Two weeks ago, he was moved to the regional police holding and administrative unit in Camp Vicente Lim in Calamba City, Laguna.

Mancao is running for his life, and his wife, Maricar, who lives in the United States, has asked the Aquino administration to protect him from Lacson.

Surrender first

But deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said on Sunday that the government could not protect Mancao on the lam.

If he wants protection, he should turn himself in, Valte said.

“How can we protect him if he’s on the run?” Justice Secretary Leila de Lima asked, reacting on Sunday to Maricar Mancao’s plea for help for her husband.

De Lima said she would terminate the Witness Protection Program coverage of Mancao on Monday, but promised to ask the court not to transfer him to the city jail if he surrendered.

She said she needed to terminate Mancao’s government protection to preserve the integrity of the program.

Reelectionist Sen. Gregorio Honasan, who ran from the law after leading coup attempts against President Corazon Aquino in the mid-1980s, on Sunday advised Mancao to surrender so that the wheels of justice could begin turning.

“For the process to begin, he has to be physically present. He has to submit himself to the legal process,” Honasan said.—With reports from TJ Burgonio and Leila B. Salaverria in Manila


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Cezar Mancao II , dacer-corbito murder case , Glenn Dumlao , jailbreak , Panfilo Lacson , Philippines




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  3. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  4. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  7. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  8. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  9. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  10. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
Advertisement

News

  • Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  • Palace prepared to charge its allies
  • 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  • PNP chief on plunder raps: ‘Amateurish’
  • Sports

  • Mixers trim Aces, force do-or-die tiff
  • Donaire junks Garcia as coach, taps father
  • ’Bye Ginebra: No heavy heart this time
  • UAAP board tackles new rules
  • Baguio climb to decide Le Tour de Filipinas
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Return of ‘Ibong Adarna’
  • Practical Phytos plans his future
  • In love … with acting
  • From prison to the peak of success
  • ‘Asedillo’ location thrives
  • Business

  • Philippine Airlines to stop shipment of shark fins
  • PH banks not ready for Asean integration
  • Stocks down on profit-taking
  • Banks allowed to use ‘cloud’
  • SMIC to issue P15-B bonds
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 24, 2014
  • Talking to Janet
  • Respite
  • Bucket list
  • JPII in 1981: walking a tightrope
  • Global Nation

  • China and rivals sign naval pact to ease maritime tensions
  • What Went Before: Manila bus hostage crisis
  • Obama arrives in Tokyo, first stop of 4-nation tour
  • Believe it or not: Filipinos love US more than Yanks
  • PH, HK end bitter row; sanctions lifted
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement