Quantcast
Latest Stories

Topacio urges Mancao to return to detention

By

MANILA, Philippines–The former lawyer of Cezar Mancao II has called on his erstwhile client to yield to authorities following his escape from his detention cell at the National Bureau of Investigation headquarters, an NBI official said Thursday.

Ferdinand Topacio said Mancao’s “justifiable frustration” over the treatment he was getting from the Department of Justice Mancao to leave the NBI.

“I am calling on my compadre Boy Mancao to turn himself in, and if it is necessary for me to again give my assistance to him, I will gladly do so,” Topacio said in a statement.

The lawyer said he had decided to stop providing legal services to Mancao in connection with the 2000 Dacer-Corbito double murder case since he was also the lawyer in two other controversial cases pending in the DOJ.

“While I do not, and will not, condone the act of my former client … I cannot help but empathize with his sad plight and plaints while under the Witness Protection (Program),” he said.

Topacio said Mancao’s case should be “a lesson to our government to treat all those who stood for truth and justice fairly and decently.”

“A government that treats rogues as heroes risks having heroes turn into rogues,” Topacio said.

He said he had written Justice Secretary Leila de Lima asking why Mancao’s name has yet to be stricken from the criminal information that the DOJ filed regarding the 2000 murder of publicist Salvador “Bubby” Dacer and his driver Emmanuel Corbito.

Under the Witness Protection Act, the lawyer said accused who decided to turn state witness should be discharged as respondent in the case.

His letter, however, was “ignored” by the DOJ, Topacio said.

“But I believed then, as I believe now, that his leaving (the NBI) was due to his justifiable frustration with the way he was being shabbily treated by the DOJ,” he said.

“After all, a fellow state witness, (Superintendent) Glenn Dumlao, who even turned traitor to the DOJ by testifying in favor of the defense and against the DOJ, had been reinstated to the police service without loss of seniority,” he added.

Topacio also noted that Michael Ray Aquino, one of the primary accused in the case and a former aide of Sen. Panfilo Lacson, who was previously tagged as the brains behind the Dacer-Corbito slays, had been freed from prison.

“Senator Lacson … is now the fair-haired boy of the Aquino administration. His life as a fugitive is being glamorized and he is millions of pesos richer for it,” he said.

“Mancao, who has risked everything–life, honor, family–has remained living the life of a miserable prisoner, who cannot earn a living, away from family and friends, without livelihood and liberty and neglected by the state that had initially sought his help,” the lawyer lamented.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: detention , Escape , Government , law and justice , Murder , News




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

  • S. Korea ferry toll hits 150 as search gets tougher
  • If Napoles names Aquino allies, they’ll be brought to bar of justice – Palace
  • Lacson says diamond-studded earring snatched from wife fake
  • Pope John XXIII launched Vatican II and then some
  • Militants: Napoles as state witness is ‘clear travesty of justice’
  • Sports

  • Wizards beat Bulls in OT to take 2-0 series lead
  • Pacers rally past Hawks 101-85 to even series
  • David Moyes out as Manchester United manager
  • Nadal to face fellow Spaniard at Barcelona Open
  • Defensive Chelsea holds Atletico in scoreless draw
  • Lifestyle

  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Sweet party for Andi Manzano
  • Entertainment

  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Summer movie preview: Bay reboots ‘Transformers’
  • Business

  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • $103M Vista Land bonds tendered for redemption
  • Oil slips to $102 as US crude supplies seen rising
  • SC stops Meralco power rate hike anew
  • Technology

  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Brazil passes trailblazing Internet privacy law
  • New York police Twitter campaign backfires badly
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipina, 51, shot dead by 24-year-old American boyfriend
  • China, rivals sign pact to ease maritime tensions
  • Visa-free US trip? Do not believe it, says consulate
  • Obama visit to Asia seen as counterweight to China
  • Violence mars militant protest at US Embassy
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement