Latest Stories

The Pagaeaw-aeaw tragedy

WWII True Stories Contest Winner


For 8-YEAR-OLD Edgar Orola and other residents of the municipality of Banga in Aklan, Oct. 21, 1942, was supposed to be a day of excitement and joy.

Before that day, town Mayor Lorenzo Duran Jr. and lawyer Jose Orquiola called  a meeting to inform the residents about the Japanese Imperial Army’s arrival. The mayor ordered the people to welcome their foreign visitors.

Before sunrise, Edgar set out for the “crossing” with his half-brother Diogenes “Genes” Retino, his cousins Frederico Jr. and Rodolfo Rigodon and his father Perfecto. People from Banga’s different barrios were already there to welcome the Japanese.

By 7 a.m., there were over 300 welcomers although Mayor Duran and Orquiola were not among them. As there were not enough seats for everyone, Genes  suggested that they use church pews.

At 7:30 a.m., Luis Macahilig and Genes divided the people into two groups. Genes, with Frederico and Luciano Trompeta, led the first group. The second group was led by Macho Trompeta, Perfecto and Rodolfo.

At 8 a.m., Luis and about a hundred members of the first group left for Barrio Libas while the second group stayed at the crossing. On the way to Libas, the group could hear people singing as they drank coconut wine.

Massacre begins

It was about 9:30 a.m. when a certain Molong reported that the people in Libas had been killed by Japanese soldiers. But nobody believed him. Some even got angry at him.

At 10:30 a.m., 10 Japanese soldiers reached the crossing. “When we saw the Japanese soldiers, everybody shouted, ‘Banzai! Banzai!’ until they came to the crossing,” Edgar said.

A Japanese captain with his interpreter stepped up to the rotunda, while the soldiers had their machine guns ready. The interpreter asked in Ilonggo, “Who have guns in their homes? Do not be afraid because we will not do anything to you.”

Macho Trompeta raised his hand. He was asked to approach the soldiers. When his daughter Sianing said, “’Tay, I’m coming with you!” the soldiers also called her up front.

Father and daughter’s arms were bound. Gene Robi, another resident, began to sense that something terrible was about to happen. He jumped from his chair and ran but was shot by a soldier.

The interpreter asked again, “Who have guns at home?” No one answered. The interpreter told the captain (in Japanese) that no one else had guns.

The Japanese officer waved a little red flag and shouted, “Ready, fire!” The soldiers fired at the unsuspecting Bangahons in the assembly.

“I could hear the bullets whizzing past my ears and making horrible sounds when they hit the chairs beside me,” Edgar said.

Hundreds of people lay lifeless at the crossing rotunda. The blood of the eager welcomers covered the municipality’s landmark.

“My eyes were half open and I saw everything they did,” Edgar said. The massacre was seared forever in his young mind.

The soldiers went around to make sure everyone was dead. The living were brutally kicked and stabbed with bayonets.

“I saw a Japanese soldier approach. He stabbed me with his bayonet and I screamed. He stabbed me several times and kicked me in the back. I stopped moving and pretended to be dead even though I was in a lot of pain,” Edgar said.

“I saw the captain stab with his saber the buttocks of Tay Vito. As blood spurted, a few drops hit my head because I was so close.”

After making sure everybody was dead, the soldiers proceeded to Barrio Bacan to search for more people.

“When they were far enough not to see me, I stood up slowly,” Edgar said. “A man who was still alive told me to run.” But Edgar could not run because of his injuries.

Edgar, despite the severity of his wounds, was miraculously able to cross  Mantac Road and climb Manduyog Hill where he saw their helper “Oyo” with his rooster.

When Edgar asked where Oyo was going, the latter replied he was going to a cockfight.

“What?” Edgar blurted out.  “You’re still going to the cockfight after almost everyone at the crossing has been killed?”

Oyo did not believe Edgar until the latter showed his injuries.

“Oyo immediately put down his rooster, lifted me and rushed me home,” Edgar said.

Saved by herbs

When he got home, Edgar told his mother about the death of his father, who was sitting beside him during the massacre. Without a doctor and medical supplies to treat him, Edgar’s sister used medicinal herbs to heal his wounds. The therapy worked and Edgar survived.

“I thank God for the second life he gave me,” Edgar said, showing the scars from his  near-death experience.

He also heard the story of what happened to the group that went to Libas from his brother Genes, who was one of its leaders.

At 9 a.m. (30 minutes before Molong showed up at the crossing), the same group of Japanese soldiers that almost killed Edgar entered Libas.

The first group welcomed the soldiers, just like the crossing group did, with “Banzai! Banzai!”

The soldiers instructed 20 or so group members, including Edgar’s brother, to fall in line. Genes was at the head of the line.

With their arms tied behind their backs, they were made to stand at the sidelines. The other welcomers were killed the same way as those at the crossing, shot with machine guns and stabbed with bayonets.

Two soldiers were left to guard the survivors as the rest proceeded to the crossing.

The Japanese returned to Libas around 4 p.m. and brought their prisoners to the municipality of Balete. Some of the prisoners fainted from hunger as they walked the long way to Balete. Instead of helping them, the soldiers kicked them and forced them to stand up.

Reaching Balete at 11 p.m., the prisoners were brought to a hut beside a bridge. By then, Genes realized his hands were loosely tied and he could escape but Luis said, “Do not escape for we will be released tomorrow.”

The next day at about 6 a.m. they were again told to fall in line. Luis was told to put his head on a railing. His head was cut off.

Ten people were killed that day. The remaining 10 were returned to the hut.

Genes prayed fervently to San Rafael, the patron saint of Balete whose feast day was to be celebrated on Oct. 23. Around midnight, Genes felt his arms come untied. He untied the two people nearest to him but was unable to help his cousin Frederico.

Genes and his companions planned their escape. He told them the guard would light a cigarette at about 4 a.m. and they would tackle him and run.

At 4 a.m., they did as they had planned. Although the guard tried to hold him by his shoulder, he was able to escape.

Genes walked through the mountains of Balete, reaching the crossing at 6 a.m. and seeing the dead bodies being eaten by dogs, cats and rats.

“Fortunately, he was able to reach our house safely before we evacuated to Barrio  Toralba,” Edgar said.

Edgar Orola, the boy who survived the massacre and lived to tell this story, is now 78 years old.

(Janz M. Sampaton, a consolation prize winner, is a third year high school student at Sped Kalibo Integrated Special Education Center. He was mentored by teacher Allan S. Gomez.)

Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter

Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Education , History , News , Worl War II

Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
  1. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  2. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  3. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  6. DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  7. Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  8. Estrada, Gigi Reyes denied access to evidence from other respondents
  9. Thoughts on Holy Week
  10. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’


  • DOH asks co-passengers of OFW carrier to test for MERS-CoV
  • 5.5-magnitude quake hits Sultan Kudarat
  • Passengers denied chance to escape sinking South Korea ferry
  • Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
  • Heavy traffic reported on NLEx, SLEx
  • Sports

  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Durant has 42, Thunder beat Pistons 112-111
  • Walker leads Bobcats over Bulls in OT, 91-86
  • Man City slips further out of title contention
  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • Business

  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • Technology

  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Marketplace