Quantcast
Latest Stories

Gov’t negotiator insists talks with rebels should be preceded by ceasefire

By

MANILA, Philippines—While both the government and the Communist Party of the Philippines acknowledge that the attack on Gingoog Mayor Ruthie Guingona has highlighted the need for the resumption of peace talks, a return to the negotiating table by the two parties appears to be farfetched for now.

Government chief negotiator Alexander Padilla said Saturday that the Aquino administration remains open to resuming the peace talks with the communists but only if the process is “time bound and agenda bound with no preconditions.”

In addition, Padilla said in a telephone interview, “there should be a cessation of hostilities that could be independently monitored by civil society and church groups.”

Padilla stressed the need for a ceasefire before returning to the negotiating table because without it, “violence will continue, nothing will change.”

“I hope the public understands we cannot return to the talks just for the sake of talking and continue all the violence again. That would be just fooling the public,” he said.

In an e-mail to the Inquirer, Luis Jalandoni, chief negotiator for the communist-led National Democratic Front, said that his panel has informed Norwegian Special Envoy Ture Lundh, who is facilitating meetings between the two sides, “that we are willing to move the peace talks forward.”

Jalandoni said his panel “actually offered truce and cooperation” to the government, noting that a truce was even “much longer than a ceasefire.”

“But the truce and cooperation should be the result of a declaration of common intent upholding national sovereignty, land reform and national industrialization, among others,” he said. “Furthermore, we are demanding that obligations arising from agreements previously signed like the Joint Agreement on Safety and Immunity Guarantees (JASIG) and the CARHRIHL be respected.”

“By the way,” he added, “these are not preconditions, but obligations arising from a mutually agreed bilateral and binding peace agreement.”

But these are exactly the points that the government panel is wary of, particularly the demand of the CPP-NPA-NDF to release “consultants” who have been arrested and detained by the government.

Padilla said for one, the government refuses to release any more “detained consultants” because those who have been released earlier have “gone back to the hills.”

“So we even refused to collaborate on that level that we will release them and then they would return to the underground movement,” he said.

Padilla also described as “preposterous” the CPP-NPA-NDF demand for the government to stop its socio-economic development programs for the people such as the Pamana, the Conditional Cash Transfer, and Oplan Bayanihan.

“To them, these development programs are counterinsurgency programs,” Padilla said.

The Philippines has what is now the world’s longest running communist insurgency problem, which dates back to soon after the end of World War II. The government and the CPP-NPA-NDF have been trying to negotiate for peace for the past 25 years but Padilla himself said this “has gone nowhere.”

After a stalled “regular track” in the peace negotiations, the two panels tried to talk through a “special track,” which Padilla said the CPP-NPA-NDF themselves had proposed.

Initially meeting in December last year in the Netherlands, both panels agreed to discuss a draft Declaration of National Unity and Just Peace prepared by Jose Ma. Sison, founder of the CCP, which replaced the old Partido Komunista ng Pilipinas in the late 60’s.

At their next meeting last February, according to Padilla,  the NDF “proposed three new documents” instead of discussing the Sison draft.

He said the new documents “backtracked from their original position on a Draft Declaration, particularly on ceasefire, which they now subjected to preconditions.”

“They also reverted to the prolonged and untenable process of the Regular Track,” Padilla said.

“Joma Sison practically declared the special track dead when he reintroduced (the) three separate documents that were miles away from what we originally talked about,” he added.

For the talks to move forward, Padilla said, the negotiations should be “under a new atmosphere or a new environment whereby they will actually listen and talk to us on an even level.”

Asked how he thought the talks could move forward, Jalandoni said: “If there is the political will, there will be a way to move forward. But the GPH team wanted indefinite, simultaneous and unilateral ceasefires without the upholding of national sovereignty, land reform and national industrialization.”

Jalandoni said his panel panel also gave the government team “two drafts they can study and consider.”


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: NDF , New People's Army , NPA , Peace Talks




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  2. Chinese lawyers say they were tortured by police
  3. Hair salon’s Kim Jong Un poster riles embassy
  4. Siquijor ‘healer’: For every cure, there’s a plant
  5. State seeks guilty verdict for Abalos
  6. Why college grads end up in the PNP
  7. Estrada: I will pray for my detractors
  8. Miraculous image makes Gapan City top site for pilgrimage in Central Luzon
  9. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  10. Five men from Cavite found dead in jeep in Batangas
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • Drug firm Novartis to help Leyte firefighter
  • Fears grow for hundreds missing in South Korea ferry capsize
  • Robot sub makes first complete search for plane
  • uFly fires flight simulator who appeared on CNN
  • DPWH allots P1.2 trillion for PH roads
  • Sports

  • Federer would skip tennis to be with wife, newborn
  • Manny Pacquiao in PBA? If so, he’ll wear No. 17
  • PSC sets Blu Girls US training
  • Power Pinoys settle for 7th place
  • Successful coaches to get raise
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Derek more private with new girlfriend
  • ‘Community’ star happy with return of show’s creator
  • Jealousy is kid stuff
  • Business

  • PH presses bid to keep rice import controls
  • PSEi continues to gain
  • Number of retrenched workers rose by 42% in ’13
  • PH seen to sustain rise in FDIs
  • Gov’t subsidies to state firms fell in first 2 months
  • Technology

  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Tech company: Change passwords or suffer ‘Heartbleed’
  • Filling the digital talent gap
  • SSS to shut down website for Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • First Fil-Am elected to Sierra Madre, Calif. city council
  • UC Irvine cultural night to dramatize clash of values in immigrant family
  • Filipino sweets and info served at UC Berkeley Spring Fest
  • Milpitas, California kids wrap up a successful run of ‘The Wiz’
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement