Quantcast
Latest Stories

Brillantes won’t quit

By

Commission on Elections chairman Sixto Brillantes poses for a photo opportunity along with AFP vice chief of staff, Lieutenant General Allan Luga, (left) and PNP chief, Director General Alan Purisima, during a joint command conference at Camp Crame on Monday (April 22, 2013).

MANILA, Philippines – Commission on Elections (Comelec) chairman Sixto Brillantes Jr. announced Monday that he will not resign from his post.

“Hindi ko iiwan ang taumbayan (I will not leave our countrymen)… at this stage,” Brillantes said during the command conference among the Comelec, Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines, and the Department of Education on the final preparations for the upcoming midterm elections in May.

“Meron akong naririnig na sinasabing kaya ako magre-resign kasi tatakasan ko mga problema. Hindi totoo yan. Hindi ko aatrasan lahat ng problema (There are those who say that I’m resigning because I want to run away from the problems. That’s not true. I will not retreat from all these problems) ,” he said, adding that he was “almost absolutely sure” that this upcoming midterm election would be successful.

Brillantes said he consulted his children, who advised him to continue and just think about it again after the elections.

“Of course the other reason is because the President [Benigno Aquino III] himself said that I should not. And I thank the President for saying although I am not bound by what he said. . .”

“I respect his (Aquino) opinion that I should finish this job,” said Brillantes, whose term ends in 2015.

In an interview with reporters last week, Brillantes expressed his desire to leave his post after the Supreme Court issued a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against Comelec’s airtime limit rule.

The Comelec, under resolution 9615, limits the number of airtime for each candidate to 120 minutes for television advertisements and 180 minutes for radio ad. The previous rule was on a per station basis.

Brillantes noted that it was the fourth time the SC had decided against the Comelec. The first was the “Team Patay / Team Buhay” tarpaulins of the Diocese of Bacolod, then the disqualification cases against the partylists, and the election protest case in Imus, Cavite.

But President Benigno Aquino III, in an interview in Cebu City over the weekend, asked Brillantes to reconsider his decision.

“I think he will see that the country needs him to chair the Comelec at this crucial period,” Aquino said. with Matikas Santos


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Comelec , Elections , Politics , Sixto Brillantes Jr.




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  2. Save the queen? Aide takes fall for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  3. Palace prepared to charge its allies
  4. Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  5. Napoles turnaround alarms whistle-blowers
  6. What Went Before: Malacañang allies alleged involvement in pork scam
  7. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  8. Timeline: Napoles tell-all
  9. HK apology: Why Estrada and not Aquino?
  10. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  5. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  6. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  7. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Reckless driver endangered lives of Aquino, entourage–report
  10. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  1. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  2. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  3. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. 12 senators on Napoles ‘pork’ list, says Lacson
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  10. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
Advertisement

News

  • Smooth Edsa ride up in 2 years, but…
  • Obama: US will defend Japan vs China
  • Santiago accuses Lacson of fronting for Enrile, Gigi Reyes
  • Name names, Lacson told
  • Ukraine FM: We are ready to fight Russia
  • Sports

  • Sharapova advances to Stuttgart quarterfinals
  • Galedo caps ride of redemption
  • Beermen, Express dispute second semis slot today
  • Lady Agilas upset Lady Bulldogs in four sets
  • NLEX roars to 7th D-League win
  • Lifestyle

  • Marinduque: Visiting the ‘palm of the ocean’
  • First at Vatican in 60 years
  • How Jing Monis Salon gave Krissy the pixie
  • Want to be a supermodel? Work on your inner beauty, says Joey Espino
  • Denims that keep you cool–literally
  • Entertainment

  • Kristoffer Martin: from thug to gay teen
  • Has Ai Ai fallen deeply with ‘sireno?’
  • California court won’t review Jackson doctor case
  • Cris Villonco on play adapted from different medium
  • OMB exec’s assurance: We work 24/7
  • Business

  • How author of best-seller exposed ‘one percent’ economic elite
  • Bangko Sentral readies new bank lending rules
  • Gaming stocks gain, PSEi eases on profit-taking
  • Cebu Pacific flew 3.74M passengers as of March
  • Corporate bonds sweeteners
  • Technology

  • Vatican announces hashtag for April 27 canonizations
  • Enrile in Masters of the Universe, Lord of the Rings?
  • Top Traits of Digital Marketers
  • No truth to viral no-visa ‘chronicles’
  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Opinion

  • Editorial Cartoon, April 25, 2014
  • No deal, Janet
  • Like making Al Capone a witness vs his gang
  • MERS-CoV and mothers
  • A graduation story
  • Global Nation

  • HK victims to get P115M; traders raised money
  • Afghan hospital guard kills 3 American doctors
  • Career diplomat is new PH consul general in Los Angeles
  • US4GG: Aquino should ask Obama for TPS approval, drone technology
  • Complex health care system for California’s elderly and poor explained
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement