Boston suspect in serious condition, can’t speak—official
More News from Agence France-Presse
BOSTON — Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev remained in serious condition in hospital “unable to communicate,” Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick said Saturday.
The 19-year-old is “serious but stable. I think not able to communicate yet,” the governor told reporters after attending a tribute to the victims of Monday’s bomb attacks that left three dead and about 180 injured.
CBS television quoted investigators as saying that Tsarnaev suffered two serious wounds and had lost a lot of blood. It said investigators had speculated that one wound in the back of his neck could have been a suicide attempt.
“They say it appears from the wound that he might have stuck a gun in his mouth and fired,” said the report, which added that Tsarnaev could understand what those around him were saying.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was detained on Friday. His elder brother Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police earlier in the day during a massive manhunt.
Patrick said he hopes the teenaged suspect survives. “We have a million questions and those questions need to be answered,” he added.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94