Quantcast
Latest Stories

De Lima bristles at contempt suit: ‘Something happened’

By

She’s in a bind, but she’s not taking things sitting down, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said, amid a contempt suit filed against her by one of the principal suspects in the January 2011 murder of Palawan broadcaster Gerry Ortega.

Through his lawyer Demetrio Custodio Jr.,  Palawan Gov. Joel Reyes last week asked the Court of Appeals to cite De Lima in contempt for having impugned the court’s reputation “by insinuating that it could be influenced to decide a case in one way or another by a party’s ‘foul tactics and illicit means.’”

‘Something happened’

“(But) I cannot just take it sitting down, a decision like that (when) I know something happened,” De Lima said of the decision of a Court of Appeals special division last March 19 to nullify the murder charges against the Palawan governor and his brother Coron Mayor Mario Reyes Jr.

Saying she refused to be cowed into silence, De Lima said she has information from a credible source that “something happened,” which led to the appeals’ court decision, but admitted that she cannot back up her claim with solid proof since her source will not support her publicly.

“I wish I can reveal it, but I know something about what happened in that case. But my problem is, I cannot reveal it without solid proof,” the justice secretary told Department of Justice (DOJ) reporters on Monday.

A-1 source

“I have information from an A-1 source but I don’t think my source is willing to back me up or confirm it. Kaya tatahimik na lang ako (That’s why I’ll just keep quiet). I am asking the (Office of Solicitor General) to defend me,” she added.

The appeals court special tenth division invalidated the second DOJ panel De Lima had created to re-investigate the involvement of the Reyes brothers in the Ortega murder.

In a 3-2 vote, the Court of Appeals said the justice secretary had committed a grave abuse of discretion when she created the second panel of investigators without acting on the petition for review filed by Ortega’s daughter Michaella on the decision of the first DOJ panel.

The appeals court in effect reinstated the decision of the first panel dismissing the murder charges against the Reyes brothers.

Asked about the contempt suit, De Lima said her remarks about the appeals’ court decision were within her “right to express (her) thoughts.”

Quest for justice

She continued: “They can sue me all they want but I cannot buckle down in the quest for justice in that particular case. I cannot be cowed in the exercise of my right to free expression. I was expressing my frustration about the development of the case, (in) particular about that resolution.”

De Lima shared her consternation over the contempt suit during her meeting with “running priest” Fr. Robert Reyes, who has been helping the Ortega family.

In an interview with the Inquirer after their meeting at the DOJ, Reyes defended De Lima by questioning the integrity of the five-member Court of Appeals division that cleared the Reyes brothers.

“(De Lima) should not be cowed by threats of legal suits by the Reyes camp. This is all they can do because Secretary De Lima cannot be bribed,” Reyes said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Contempt , court , Court of Appeals , Joel Reyes , Leila de Lima , Ortega case , Philippines




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Napoles spills beans on Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – De Lima
  2. Opinions split on Napoles turning state witness
  3. Delfin Lee: Blame Pag-Ibig, not me
  4. Plunder complaint filed vs PNP chief, firearms office head over license delivery deal
  5. Cedric Lee’s cohort flies out of PH despite look-out order – De Lima
  6. San Juan cops fail to arrest Cedric Lee
  7. More ‘Yolanda’ bodies found
  8. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  9. Lawyer: Napoles ‘will tell all’
  10. Boy ‘sexually assaulted’ at Indonesia international school
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Estrada: Gigi Reyes won’t testify vs JPE
  3. Gigi Reyes pins blame on aide
  4. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  5. Enrile chief aide back in PH ‘to face charges’
  6. Bernice Lee arrested by NBI team
  7. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  8. Suspect in Vhong Navarro’s mauling wants to turn state witness – De Lima
  9. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  10. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  4. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  5. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  6. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  7. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
  8. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  9. Hammer-wielding robbers cause chaos at Philippines’ Mall of Asia
  10. Ex-PBA player Bryan Gahol dies in road mishap
Advertisement

News

  • Napoles tags over 100 officials in pork scam – Lacson
  • Vitangcol to sue Czech envoy
  • Senator’s kickback from pork bigger than those of Enrile, Estrada, Revilla – Lacson
  • 43 out of 414 Etihad passengers yet to be found, tested for MERS-CoV – Palace
  • Maid confesses in killing of 2 and stabbing of employer in Laguna
  • Sports

  • Caguioa blasts ‘no heart, soft’ Ginebra on Twitter
  • San Mig Coffee grinds out win over Alaska to force decider
  • UP nips St. Benilde; Adamson blasts RTU in Filoil women’s caging
  • Kevin Garnett responds to Raptors’ GM F word
  • Albert Pujols hits 500th HR of major league career
  • Lifestyle

  • Entering the monkhood a rite of passage
  • Haneda International Airport: A destination on its own
  • Wanted: Beauty queen with a heart that beats for the environment
  • Kim Atienza: At home with art and design
  • Life lessons I want to teach my son
  • Entertainment

  • Bollywood Oscars, film stars come to Florida
  • Ex-Fox exec denies allegations in sex abuse suit
  • Kris Aquino backtracks, says Herbert Bautista and her are ‘best friends’
  • Summer preview: Chris Pratt enters a new ‘Galaxy’
  • Bon Jovi helps open low-income housing in US
  • Business

  • SM to rebuild Tacloban hospital
  • PSEi slips after 4-day rally
  • Toyota sells 2.58 million vehicles, outselling GM
  • McDonald’s 1Q profit slips as US sales decline
  • SEC approves SM’s P15B retail bond offer
  • Technology

  • ‘Unlimited’ Internet promos not really limitless; lawmakers call for probe
  • Viber releases new design for iPhone, comes to Blackberry 10 for the first time
  • Engineers create a world of difference
  • Bam Aquino becomes Master Splinter’s son after Wiki hack
  • Mark Caguioa lambasts Ginebra teammates on Twitter
  • Opinion

  • One-dimensional diplomacy: A cost-benefit analysis of Manila’s security deal with Washington
  • No ordinary illness
  • Reforest mountains with fire trees and their kind
  • Day of the Earth
  • When will Chinese firm deliver new coaches?
  • Global Nation

  • Filipinos coming home from Mideast must obtain MERS clearance – DOH
  • US Secret Service in Manila ahead of Obama visit
  • Palace thanks Estrada for successful HK mission
  • Hong Kong accepts PH apology; sanctions also lifted
  • China won’t budge, wants PH gov’t to apologize to HK
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement