Japan orders shooting down of N. Korea missile
TOKYO – Japan has ordered its armed forces to shoot down any North Korean missile headed towards its territory, a defense ministry spokesman said Monday as speculation grows Pyongyang may fire one this week.
Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera issued the order, which will see Aegis destroyers equipped with sea-based interceptor missiles deployed in the Sea of Japan, the defence official said.
The official, who was speaking on condition of anonymity, said the order, which was issued Sunday, was routine and was being kept low-key.
“We won’t hold press conferences on this order because of Japan’s policy principle that we will not be swayed by North Korean provocations.
“If we announce this publicly and explain in details, North Korea will get to know part of our strategy,” the spokesman told AFP.
The order came as a top South Korean security official said Sunday that North Korea may test-launch a missile this week, while the United States has delayed its own missile test because of soaring tensions on the peninsula.
Kim Jang-Soo, chief national security adviser to President Park Geun-Hye, said a test-launch or other provocation could come before or after Wednesday, the date by which the North has suggested that diplomats leave Pyongyang.
North Korea, incensed by UN sanctions following its nuclear and missile tests and by South Korean-US military drills, has issued a series of apocalyptic threats of nuclear war in recent weeks.
It has also reportedly loaded two medium-range missiles on mobile launchers and hidden them in underground facilities near its east coast, fuelling fears of an imminent launch that may further escalate tensions.
North Korea also gave an evacuation advisory to some foreign embassies in the capital Pyongyang, warning it could not guarantee their safety after April 10 if a conflict broke out, although most appeared to be staying put.
Sunday’s order is similar to those Japan’s defence ministry has issued three times in the past — in April 2009 and in April and December last year — when North Korea launched what it called a satellite.
But this is the first time that an order has been issued before Pyongyang has announced any actual launch.
“There is not a high possibility that the missile would target Japan, but we have determined we should prepare for any contingency,” a government source told Kyodo news agency.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94